Catenary Wire

I'm having a party outside in a couple of weeks, and I want to run 4 off

13A extension leads from the house to a tree. The ring main they are coming from is on an ELCB.

I think it would be best to suspend the leads under a catenary wire, but how do I gauge the size of wire I need? I recon the weight of the wire is about 10kg, the span is about 12m.

Also, do I need a spring to absorb the slack, in case it is windy?

Reply to
Nige

See

for calculation and article
allows you to work it out.

To allow for wind, I'd fix a pulley to the tree. Then run one end of the catenary wire through the pulley and down the tree. Add weights to set the required catenary tension. This will allow movement for wind etc. and allow for the whole thing to be hoisted up more easily.

I'm also wondering what load you're envisaging that you need 4 off 13A extension leads!

Regards John

Reply to
John

Or two double outlet trailing sockets for that matter. Or even one fourway outlet block with only one thinner cable running to it. But four outlets for a garden party ?

If you could use one X four way outlet block with a single 2.5 mm csa' flex, you're going to have enough to run an immersion heater and a couple of 300 watt flood lights. And you would also get away with some nylon string as a catenary's wire from house to tree as well.

Reply to
BigWallop

3 x 1kw lights 6 x 2-3 A amplifiers & PA 1 x 10A refrigerated truck 1 x 3A pork roast + 1 x 5A lights
Reply to
Nige

Holy Christ !!!!! Can I come to your garden parties. I think you need the Catenary's from the local sub-station not the house. :-)) ROFL !!!! Well saying, It's Summer.

Reply to
BigWallop

Maybe the question should be, what sort of huge garden is this then?!

Reply to
rrh

*That* sort of garden party

4+kW of light and 3+kW of sound, I hope you have invited the neighbours even if thely live a mile away...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Erm, I wouldn't put that load on a single ring main. It's likely to have overload protection at 32A which will be insufficient :-)

You need to split that demand across circuits, so that some of the demand is on each. Also, in the event of a trip, this will ensure that you're not totally in the dark!

JR

Reply to
John

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:36:27 +0100, "John" strung together this:

Do we need a ***whoosh*** inserting here?

Reply to
Lurch

OK, so you have a large garden!

Do you have this sort of event regally? If so, you may want to think about a permanent solution for this.

Do you have three phase in the house? If so, you could install a three phase "red" socket outside.

For a tempory install, I would run the truck from one ring, maybe the upstairs ring if you have one

Run the lights from another one (Maybe downstairs main) and finally the audio off another main

If you have a socket on your cooker switch in the kitchen, you could run something from this

If you do have 3 phase, it might be an idea to run the audio off a different phase to the rest of it too.

Where about are you out of interest!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

And a big *****KerrrrSplattttt***** as well I think. :-)) LOL !!!

Reply to
BigWallop

With that sort of load it might be worth considering hiring a generator...

Lee

Reply to
Lee

I planned to put the fridge truck on a separate 20A radial circuit, it has its own 100mA RCD, so is less likely to trip the rest.

I've now solved the original question, I've found some wire that is used to support hop poles!

Reply to
Nige

Do you mean is the queen invited :-) ?

Reply to
John Armstrong

Even the Queens garden party at Hollyrood Palace doesn't have that kind of electrical loading supplying it. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop