CAT5 into loft

If you have - as many companies do, a couple of miles of structured COAX in your walls - the cost of ripping out and upgrading just ONE run comforatbly exceeds 160 quid which will get you a half trained gibbon for a day.

Indeed. I thought I made that clear, however not strictly for long runs of inferior 75ohm cable. They would almost certainly work tho, as the cable is not part of an overall net - just working as a point to point link.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't follow the PCW exercise thats a bodge if I ever saw one! There is no standard set for POE just yet and whilst it *may* work on some APs - lots of the other cheaper ones will get frazzled........

Reply to
Quigs

This keeps cropping up. Run it in some 20mm Black Plastic conduit, then it wont be affected by wind, rain, snow, ice or some idiot putting a ladder against it.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

You can build your own easily enough - and then you can guarantee it will work with all APs

Reply to
John Rumm

As it happens, a friend of a friend is getting me 30m of exterior grade Cat5e for next to nothing, so I'm sorted.

In the meantime, I'll run a the cheap crap grey stuff so I can get it up and running, then use the old cable to pull the new stuff through the walls when I get...

Cheers all though...

CandT

Reply to
CandT

All I was getting at was that the single function of converting the same encoding (Ethernet) between the signalling used on twisted pair (10BaseT) and coax (10Base2) is done by two very differently-priced bits of gear: the BlackBox etc. "Media Convertor", price 80notes-a-pop, and the "hub with coax-uplink port", price 0-25quid a pop, even though the cheaper one performs the added function of giving you 7 extra 10BaseT ports as well. For the d-i-y/junk-cupboard world, tracking down a couple of no-longer-in-active-service hubs is a clear Win over ordering a couple of Meeja Convertas from our full-service friends at BlackBox. And I doubt - but am happy to be corrected - that the MeejaConvertas will be any happier working into inappropriate-impedance (75ohm) coax than the hubs.

HTH - Stefek

Reply to
stefek.zaba

Indeed. You'd need exterior grade UV stable stuff or Armoured.

I couldn't chase either as my plaster is too thin. I ran a 2cm square conduit up one corner of the room and painted it to match the wall. Works fine. Infact i'm posting through it now ;-)

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
Zymurgy