Cat 5 / Cat 6 across lawn in soil ?

How do you know what MAC to spoof?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Yes, I admit that I use PSK, but I do have a 30 character passphrase with a mix of numbers. The point is well made though.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

One of the secrets here is to sprinkle talcum powder over the cable as it enters the ducting. It then glides thru quite easily (usually).

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

Whilst possible I think that's an extreme point of view. Providing you take reasonable precautions with wireless installations there's little to worry about in my view. If you are paranoid about such things then of course it is a risk, starting from the moment you switch your PC on without it being connected to any wireless equipment.

You can buy directional aerials for wireless if need be, so unless the neighbour is in line of sight of the signal it's hardly likely to be an issue.

Plus if you think that neighbours being able to eavesdrop on your installation is strictly limited to wireless installations you really need to expand your knowledge base. I did some work with Plesseys some years ago and they proved beyond any doubt whatsoever that anything which isn't installed in a properly secured faraday cage can be intercepted, and the information re-assembled.

Signals from monitors, printers, cables etc are used all the time by professional snoopers. Think of a TV - how do you think those guys can sit in their van down the street and tell you which channel you are watching and where the TV is located, before they hit you for license evasion?

I grant you that your average neighbour probably isn't likely to go to those extremes, but anything is possible.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

Well

Actually

Someone within range of my living room has such a setup - not even password protected, believe it or not

The information contained in this post may not be published in, or used by

raden

Yes, and?

That's a comment on the stupidty of whoever it is owns the router.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I was commenting on your urban myth post

I was thinking of wandering around with my laptop to trig it and see if they've left the front door open too

The information contained in this post may not be published in, or used by

raden

Why buy one? This is DIY after all....

If you're paranoid, you should be encrypting all of your network traffic anyway, regardless of the medium that is used to carry it.

The point about wireless is that it is (in the case of most _home_ installations) relatively easy and cheap to do so.

Laptop, wireless card, airsnort (or whatever the current tools are) and a bit of technical knowledge, and you're in there.

That said, I wouldn't see security as a primary reason for someone not to go wireless these days. If they were not entirely self-sufficient networking-wise, I'd advise them against it 'cos if it doesn't all magically spring into action first time you plug everything in together, it's completely opaque as to why it doesn't work. Which normally results in a support call to yours truly....

Reply to
RichardS

Yes, I know but all that it shows is that the user is a dope.

My comment was direct against the observation:

"Any all your neighbours can see all your data and use your internet connection, assuming they have got the IQ of a goat, which is all thats needed to break the standard enceyption on this, even if you set it up in the first place."

It takes more than the IQ of a goat to break 128bit WEP, and WPA is more secure than WEP. It's (mostly) just kiddies trying to show how k3wL they are that rave on about how easy WiFi is to crack. What they really mean is that some fools like the one you refer to simply leave their connection open for anyone to use.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Listen for the MAC of nodes which are admitted. Replay that MAC when the talker goes quiet.

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

"Any goat with Google"

I did it a few years ago. The hardest part was getting DeadRat onto the laptop, because NetStumbler worked under Win2K, but there wasn't a readily downloadable WEP128 breaker.

Then it sat in the carpark, collecting a day's traffic until it had enough to work on. Needed to be in the car, because of battery life!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

"Andrew McKay" wrote | Signals from monitors, printers, cables etc are used all the | time by professional snoopers. Think of a TV - how do you | think those guys can sit in their van down the street and | tell you which channel you are watching and where the TV | is located, before they hit you for license evasion?

Mostly they target addresses without licences and listen at the letterbox for the Eastenders theme tune :-) Although it is a bit amazing being inside a TVL detector van and watching the process.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

And it isn't just domestic premises. I walked down Moorgate from the Bank of England to Moorgate station a few weeks ago with a WiFi sniffer and managed to get connected to 9 different networks.

Reply to
Huge

And that's already beyond 99% of "hackers".

Reply to
Huge

Out of curiosity, what sniffer do you use?

Reply to
Thomas Watkins

I keep on getting these to my factory. I also have a grovelling apology letter in response to my writing them a snotty letter telling them to stop wasting my personal TV licence money sending out these letters to me,

It didn't stop the letters coming though

Reply to
raden

Of course.

Have a look at OpenVPN

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

PocketWiNc on an iPaq 5550.

Reply to
Huge

Send them all your other junk mail with no stamp ...

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I've been working ina spoosedy secure environment the past few days. I started up my iPaq 2210 to send a mail to a client using Bluetooth and my GPRS phone.

What slowed the whole process down was that the list of available Bluetooth devices went on and on and on. Including some prat who had Bluetooth enabled on his laptop as an internet gateway. That also gave me access to their supposedly secure network.

Reply to
Steve Firth