Cast iron bath(s)

You wimp. Put sme BACK into it.

Use a 4lb sledge! Wear ear defenders.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

nightjar

The bath won't crack with gentle taps.

You need to use those atroophied things called muscles.

Paint a picture of IMM and Toby Blair on it and THEN use a sledge.

Mind you,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I used a sledge and every ounce of muscle power I possess. It broke.

Once started its easier to finish.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have the sledge from blacksmithing. However, if I had taken as big a swing in the bathroom as I did in the smithy, I would have enlarged the bathroom at the same time.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar
4lb, put some real back into it

4KG is better, and METRIC.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Ear defenders, goggles, gloves & safety shoes. I'm too old to believe in my own immortality.

Reply to
Huge

Yep. All of those.

ear defenders top, I wear glasses so that's OK, gloves for carrying the shards (very sharp) Safety shoes marginal.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dunno how heavy my sledge hammer is but it's done for a couple of cast iron baths now (and one shower pump that got in the way underneath :-()

Ear defenders and safety specs a must - and that's from one of the "bit of noise|muck in the eyes|electricity|radiation|nerve gas|WMD never hurt anyone" school :-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

All that means is that you can get shards of glass or plastic in your eye as well. Glasses will stop light particles, but are no protection against anything with any real energy.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

The stone ones disappear rapidly on metal :-)

Dont ask me how I know ...

P.

Reply to
Zymurgy

No it isn't. Stuff gets round the edges of glasses (never seen those lab glasses with sides?) and replacing £1.50 worth of goggles beats £300 worth of photochromic, wide angle varifocals.

You wouldn't say that if you saw the cheerful colour of my right large toe. (Yes, I didn't put the shoes until *after* I'd dropped a bit on my toe.)

Reply to
Huge

Well I find this all very depressing; I took my CI bath out - I rebuilt the bathroom and then put it back and had one of these guys come in a repaint it. It's a lovely bath and I wouldn't have anything else but it. I think you're all a load of vandals.

Who's for the Save the Cast Iron Baths Society (SCIBS)

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

When I took out my tatty cast iron bath and replaced it with a new one, I left the old one in the front garden ready for disposal. But didn't need to - it got nicked. It was probably Victorian, but in poor condition and far too small.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

My old cast iron bath was pink. And the enamel was worn.

And could not be removed without being broken up, or using a crane and a window.

It had maybe 100 quid value.

Of course, after a 500 quid re-enamel, it would have gone for 800 quid. In a reclaim store.

Cost benefit showed it was easier to sledge it and scrap it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If it had been white, I'd have kept it. It wasn't, it was cranberry. We didn't call it the "vile bathroom" for no good reason, you know.

Reply to
Huge

Exactly the same happened to my M-I-L's one.

Reply to
Huge

Was the rest cranberry as well??

I like cranberries (preferably with suitable alcohol added) at Christmas, but you don't really want it at 7am on a February morning, do you?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Sometimes pikeys serve a useful purpose (testing Tony Martins shotgun being one of them ;)). I expect it might have been filched to take down the scrap metal merchants to make a few bob.

PoP

PoP

February seems to be awfully mild this year - I was working in my garage yesterday afternoon with the door open. No woolly pully, just shirt (and jeans, obviously) protecting me from the elements.

Someone remind me - this is the first week of February isn't it? ;)

PoP

PoP

I'd have said it was worth more being re-conditioned and sold on rather than just scrapping.

Reply to
Dave Plowman