Carbon Bollocks and NPower

If you go back one step further, there is only one source of energy - fission or fusion of elements generated by the big bang.

The only way to use these is in nuclear reactors. The Sun is one, the earth itself is one, and we have built our own too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Parts of the earth were some sort of self moderating chain reaction but I thought that was no longer self sustaining and it's just the decomposition of unstable elements formed from then that keeps the middle warm now?

And gives us helium

AJH

Reply to
andrew

identical to the one they have closed.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The mantle is kept hot by the radioactive decay of elements (mostly uranium I think) which would have sunk down when the whole earth was molten (as the iron did - hence the iron core of the planet).

You may also be thinking of the natural uranium reactor at Oklo, in Gabon, about 2 billion years ago.

Reply to
Tim Streater

And the whole of GB is about 60 million acres, so we all get approx one each.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Actually I best not complain. A third of my income last year was made by a carbon offsetting scheme. I would probably be out of business without them.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yes, I guess nuclear reactors implies criticality, which isn't a requirement for nuclear energy generation.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That's it.

So much of the heavier elements were formed in fusion reactions before the earth formed?

One reason for the core to be iron is that decaying elements tend toward iron as the most stable state I think.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Elements further up the periodic table than iron are all formed in supernovas. Elements from and including iron downwards are formed in ordinary stars. If you fuse elements lower down than iron, you get energy *out*. To fuse elements above iron, you have to put energy *in*.

An ordinary star will firstly fuse hydrogen to helium - the Sun does that. Every second about 650 Mtons of H are fused to form 645 Mtons of Helium. So the Sun gets lighter by about 5Mtons/sec, which is converted into energy according to E=mc2. Even after 4.5Byears of this, the Sun has only converted a few % of its mass to He.

In some Byears time, the Sun will run out of H, and have to start "burning" Helium to heavier elements, progressively up to iron. It is, however, too small to go supernova.

If you're interested in more details, get hold of "Stardust" by John Gribbin - very readable.

No. Firstly, elements higher up the table than iron are quite rare, comparatively. Certainly much more than 99% of the Earth's iron core was iron when the earth formed.

Second, the "bottleneck" at iron is a feature of the strong nuclear force. Radioactive decay is mediated by the weak nuclear force, and as each radioactive isotope decays, at a rate given by its half-life, it gives rise to "daughter" isotopes which themselves may decay - or may not, if the isotope reached is stable. Thus, Uranium decays to Lead which is stable. Lead (atomic number 82) is much higher up the periodic table than iron (26).

Reply to
Tim Streater

Good informative post Tim

Thanks

AJH

Reply to
andrew

The real problem is people living in houses without any cupboards. Surely lightbulbs aren't so huge that they can't be kept somewhere until needed?

Reply to
mogga

Its a moot point as to when natural decay becomes a reactor.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Correct to my knowledge.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

IF it were all good agricultural land, its just about enough to eke out an existence..one acre pre person. At the sort of paleolithic level Greenpeace would like us to revert to.

It isn't though, and to survive loss of 'artificial' energy implies sort of 2-5M population levels.

Which would be ideal, If I were one of the 2-5M.And all those fat gits at Tescos were not.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Natural decay will occur however concentrated or dilute the isotope in question is. You get a reactor if you concentrate the material. With uranium you need about 3% or more of U235 (up from the natural 0.7% level). When a U235 atom fissions, out come some fast neutrons (and heat energy). If you slow these down ("moderate" them), these neutrons can themselves act like bullets which fission more U235 atoms.

In a reactor, you need to keep the number of slow neutrons produced per U235 atom-fission at around 1.0. A bit above, and the reactor produces more heat. A bit below and you cool it off. This is done by inserting control rods which absorb the neutrons. If the ratio gets too much above

1.0, then you are in trouble.

Obviously with a bomb you want it as much above 1.0 as poss.

Reply to
Tim Streater

No, see my post of yesterday.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I would rather grow food on my acre and use a nuclear power station to keep me warm.

Reply to
dennis

Or how the unified Germay achieved it's targets by simply shutting down the old industrial plants in the East.

It's all greenwash.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I agree. It's totally stupid but NPower didn't make the rules and they had shareholders to think about. It's the short sighted idiots who drew up the scheme who we should be complaining about.

Tim

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie