Car starting problems

You would not be the first! Local lad rebuilt a camper van.

Care needed as town planners take a dim view of motor repairs using agricultural premises.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I have never had a winding failure on a starter motor. Worn/jammed brushes yes. Tractors of my vintage have solenoids to engage the Bendix. Modern cars are rather different.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I have. Using it to move a camper van into a parking spot with a motor that wouldn't start... :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Come to think of it: try when it won't start, and after a bit of cranking, to feel along the wiring path if there's a bit that's noticeably warm. That could be a/the spot of higher resistance.

Bit of a hit&miss method, but hey, no tools, no helper required.

Another method for reluctant starting is to hit the starter and/or starter solenoid...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Red hot connection plus molten pvc, what could possibly go wrong? The op apparently done the obvious yet, so no point offering suggestions.

Reply to
Animal