Canon XL1 camcorder - tape won't eject

Just bought this on ebay, opened tape door and mechanism whirled and opened up the inner slot ready for a tape. I put in a tape with its write-protect switch set to see if would playback, and pushed the inner mechanism shut. Switched on and silence! it now seems almost dead. All that happens is the viewfinder lights up blue, and the red 'on' light comes on (not flashing) when switched to any of the 'on' positions. Nothing else works. There doesn't seem to be a manual eject hole as on some camcorders.

The guy offered to refund me but I'd rather get it going, and need to get my tape out anyway before returning it. Has anyone taken one of these beasts to bits or got a maintenance manual?

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

General answer, Google. There are loads of good "how to" pages on the web, also videos on You Tube (never needed one for a camcorder though).

Reply to
Newshound

Makes this group somewhat redundant doesn't it.... or it might had the mighty Mr Google actually have had the answer, but in the case google has no more of a clue than you. Generally this group has in depth expertise on the more obscure points that defeat "General answer, Google".

I had, of course, tried Googling before posting. And YouTubing, where the potentially promising video how-tos turned out to be come-ons for USA camera repair outfits. Google also kindly informed me that this is a not unknown problem with this camcorder, and a few others, but apparently no one has seen fit to post any DIY fixes.

Oh, and in case your next bit of advice it to take it to a repairer, I have already found the Canon UK repair franchise (from google would you believe?) where the repair cost would handsomely exceed that of another foray into eBay.

Now, has anyone taken one of these beasts to bits or got a maintenance manual?

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

The Canon user manual, as you've found, isn't much help, but users of the XL2 have found that either taking the battery out overnight and/ or gently pushing the "push" marking on the cassette cover while simultaneously firmly moving and holding the eject slide has worked.

If you're *really* unlucky, the tape gets tangled up in the transport.

Reply to
John Williamson

Don't see that there's any "of course" about it. You didn't say.

I find it something of a mystery why some people spend a lot of time posting really useful "how to" stuff. But they do. I guess this is rather a high end product, so less of a candidate for d-i-y.

Reply to
Newshound

Thanks John, I have tried various combinations of battery in or out, taking out the CR25 backup battery as well and leaving to reset the system. Also putting the battery in whilst the eject slider is held open as all to no avail. Hopefully the tape isn't tangled as the cassette has not wound at all since I put it in. First thing I tried after loading it was to see if it would come back out - and it didn't!

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

Because anyone savvy enough to find our newsgroup (by googling?), not to mention savvy enough to consider this kind of repair, would know how to google.

It's partly to give back something to the community that has, or perhaps will in the future help them. It's called altruism. And partly like-minded people discussing things of common interest, i.e. DIY in its widest sense. Perhaps one day you yourself may feel the urge to give back.

It obviously is a candidate otherwise this thread wouldn't exist. Perhaps you're new here, but if you look back through the history you will see some very complex proxects being caried out by folk here.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

Update

Just got an email from the official Canon repairers "The only way to remove the tape is by dismantling the camera."

That's just the excuse I need, "Nurse... Scalpel" :)

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison