cani knock down my OWN house ?

"BigWallop" wrote | So I'm literally stuck with keeping this one maintained then. | Oh Well (sigh), it was a nice thought while it lasted. :-))

Your insurance does cover gas explosions doesn't it?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

Like the major owning brewery did with the historic Tommy Ducks pub in the heart of Manchester city centre. In the middle of the night too. They only received a small fine for doing it. The land it was on (opposite Central Station and The Midland Hotel) is worth a fortune I still wonder why there was so little fuss made afterwards. It stinks..........

Reply to
BingoLady

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 19:01:36 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named "RichardS" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Under the Building Act S.78, the local authority must take such action as to remove the danger. This means that they can only do the minimum possible to make the property safe (not necessarily the building), as the bill for any work done by the Council gets sent to the owner.

The accidental JCB driver could end up with a house that's uninhabitable, paying for the hire of a large number of Acrows, and a bill for the dozen or so man-hours involved in securely fencing the garden off from the road. Then he can start to apply for planning permission to demolish the house. His neighbours (if they've got any sense) will also start down the road of appointing their own Party Wall surveyor to ensure that any demolition is done without adversely affecting their property.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

The hotel where we had our wedding reception closed down, and permission was sought to build houses/apartments on the site. Permission was refused and then... mysteriously... some weeks later the place burned down.

Hmmm...

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

But could I do that to the neighbours ? If I did, and knowing my luck, the doggie plumbing in the upstairs flat would put out any fire before enough damage was done, and then I'd be stuck redecorating again.

Still, one nice thing today, all the neighbours like the new front I made. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

There may well be other acts that relate.

I was informed that there is a presumption in my area that you cannot reduce the number of "dwelling units". This apparently applies to demolition and conversion of two cottages to one.

To get round this a mega corporation has left several houses abandoned to vandals. When they become sufficiently dangerous they will be demolished.

WRT the term "freehold" being a grant from the crown: is this not why land reverts to the crown if the owner dies intestate?

AJH

Reply to
Andrew Heggie <andrew.heggie

I remember two things about the Tommy Ducks

1) All the knickers stapled to the ceiling 2) Saw Windsor Davies in there!

Pete

Reply to
PM