can the snow pattern in these pavers be explained?

Here is the picture:

It shows a friends paved area where the sun has melted the snow over the pavers, but has left a reasonable depth of snow on the joints. Where the sun did not shine the snow is intact.

Has the sunshine got through the snow and heated the pavers, and the melted the snow?

Reply to
misterroy

In message snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, misterroy snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

More stored energy in the paver than the fill material?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Stored heat in the pavers from the previous day? Different thermal properties of the cement and the pavers might be enough to explain it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It has been cold and snowy for about 4 days, just -2 or so, but I would have thought cold enough, to drain the heat from the blocks and the joints.

Reply to
misterroy

Image was a bit of a let-down. From the title of your post I was kind of expecting to see the sigil of Beezebub.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

But not to "drain the heat" from the sand/MoT/soil below the blocks and joints, leaving the different thermal conductivities of the blocks and joints a *possible* cause of the pattern.

Reply to
Robin

Snow absorbs infrared almost entirely (transmission <1%) at 800nm and heats up. The photo would therefore suggest that the pavers are a better heat insulator than the joints, as the snow on them would melt earlier than that on the joints, retaining the heat from the IR it had absorbed for longer than that on the joints.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Thank you Jeff.

Reply to
misterroy

A variation on this: My car, facing south, had been covered in snow that had thawed on the body but on the windscreen, although it had started to slide down towards the bonnet most of it was still there, apparently. I went out last night after dark and found that the surface snow had frozen, leaving a cavity underneath into which I could get my hand, after I had broken a hole in the frozen snow.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

An alternative explanation :

Water is a better absorber of sunlight than snow. The sand joints allow water to drain through, whereas the pavers don't. So, you get differential melting.

Reply to
GB