Can anyone recommend a child proof lock for an oven?

Its a skill that even adults no longer have. They THINK that putting stuff in a dishwasher is actually 'washing up' and faced with a really caked saucepan the one time they DIDN'T do pot noodles they simply throw it away and swear never to touch the cooker again.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We managed to survive without one. Or locks on the gas oven, with unshuttered 15A plugs/sockets, and with paraffin stoves in the bedroom and an unearthed eletric fire that gave you a shock, and with copious amounts of pills being left around.

Some kind of miracle obviously.

Nearest I came to death was when I forced the lock on my fathers chest of drawers, to see what he was hiding from me (tools mostly) and sawed the top off a live .22 round I found there to see what was inside. Magic smoke as it happened. My ears rang for days. :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You're not from these parts, are you?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Those of a book-reading bent who are contributing to this thread (or to this newsgroup) in a particular vein may very well enjoy this recently-published book:

Big Babies: Or: Why Can't We Just Grow Up? by Michael Bywater

Bywater's 'Lost Worlds', published a year or two ago, is also a delight.

Cheers Jon N

Reply to
jkn

Where's the torrent?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Ah yes, the demand for instant gratification ... another sign of the Big Babies... ;-P

Reply to
jkn

Nice to see you have a great relationship with your kids :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

To be serious I think the attitude depends a lot on how theyre treated. Cotton woolled kids are forever doing really stupid things, and of course theres no guarding them when theyre off on their own or with friends.

When you respond to the usual 'can i do this suicidal thing' questions by saying 'Sure. If you dont mind xyz happening.' then they learn to behave far more sensibly. They learn & grow up. They realise that they decide what they do, and are aware of the problems and reasons why not to.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Well, grand-children. Much nicer because you know they're not staying long :-)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Hang on, it sounds like you're actually talking to the child here. Did you learn that on a course? These days I expect you can do a degree in parenting (if you can find a child minder).

Reply to
Stuart Noble

... just the course of life. Society does seem to have lost out badly on parenting skills over the recent decades, and look at the result.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The term "parenting skills" says it all. It's not a skill, any more than walking down the road is a skill

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Walking down the road is a skill that people lose after sufficient quantities of refreshment have been taken.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That's why I drive home

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Good parenting contains lots of abilities that are learnt, ie its a skill. Regrettably for various reasons its a vital skill area that has declined badly.

Walking is another learnt skill of course, albeit more universal.

NT

Reply to
meow2222