Cable needed for 7KW EV charger

charles was thinking very hard :

A tight rubber 'doughnut' on the conduit, at the low end, would be enough to deflect any rain from tracking along the outside.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

OK, so presumably at any property where there already such a supply to the garage (for other purposes/'business'/diy) you could simply use the existing cable ?.

Or would you run another entirely separate feed ?. Just curious.

Reply to
Andrew

Most EVs have two charging sockets. The low/medium charge socket takes AC, rectified by the car's on board rectifier. (The same one used to regeneratively charge your battery on a journey.) This can be as low as 2Kw for overnight charging.

The other "fast" socket is DC from something like 60kW supply, the sort of thing you see on motorway service stations. You won't find this in domestic houses.

Reply to
harry

We have not done one yet that has not needed a supply back to the main CU. But these have all been mode 3 (32A) supplies.

I believe the mode 2 (16A) also qualifies for the £500 grant.

Basically a 13A socket on an extension lead will not save you £500.

I'll dig out my course books over the weekend if you want more info. Trouble is it's a bank holiday week so I have to do 5 day works in 4 days and the schools are open on Monday so every school job we have done must be completed and signed off by tomorrow night.

Reply to
ARW

They've been back open here since Tuesday ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

My money would be on a separate feed. It's not just a 32A load, but a

32A continuous load. Compare this with a 32A ring main, which which may deliver 32A when you put the kettle, while the iron heats up, but for the majority of the time it will be a fraction of that.
Reply to
John Kenyon

Here the schools re-open next Monday for a couple of Inset days and the kids go back on Wednesday.

On the other hand, we had a long weekend away and so I've just had one three day week and am now on another - trying to get about four days worth of hours into each.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Well you'll just have to walk to the garage to see if you car is charged rather than check "online" via the app. Which means the charger must have a 'net connection..

Everything else is under the word "may" so is either not yet avialable or just a marketing departments dream.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice