Cable marking

Hi all,

I need to put stickers on several mains cables (IEC leads for PC equipment). The stickers wrap round the cables with a small overlap. However the adhesive is not strong enough and after a couple of weeks, or less if the cable is moved around a lot, they start to peel off.

Opinions please on the best way of making these more permanent. My first idea is clear parcel tape over the sticker - will this work? Any better ideas?

Reply to
PM

The only really long lasting way - other than for just a number - is to cover the label with clear heat shrink. But not practical unless you can remove a plug from the cable.

You might have more success labelling the plug or line outlet as these doesn't flex.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I just write on the cable itself with a fine marker pen, it seems to last pretty well on normal T&E (either white or grey). It's not very good on black SWA of course! :-)

Reply to
tinnews

I have a printer that prints barcodes and other info onto the stickers - don't really want to try and emulate this with a marker pen!

Reply to
PM

Seconded - I've done that for most of the AC wiring in the house as I've been tracing things out; I suspect it'll survive pretty well.

In the UK I used to just stick small paper labels to the plugs with plain ol' sellotape - they were all still going strong after nearly ten years.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

The Dymo Rhino tapes are supposed to have better adhesive, saw one lurking on the local RS trade counter last week ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

the label on the ties, or perhaps spraying a clear lacquer or plastic coat type aerosol spray or a clear varnish might work.

We use these in the lab, but a bit pricey.

have other types basically a label covered by clear tape. We use them to identify our mains leads as tested/inspected.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I believe BT use a fine gold metallic marker pen to write on external cables and jointing sleeves (usually PE). I don't know how long it lasts though.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Cover and overlap the stickers on both sides with sellotape, always works for me.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

We use Brady labels which are self amalgamating. They come in various sizes on A4 sheets which can be laser printed.

Fantastic but so is the price.

Reply to
Calvin Sambrook

ELECTRONICS / RAYCHEM - WCD-762 - LOADED DISPENSER COLOURS Unit Price: £9.76 (£11.22)

its a white tape you wrap round the cable write on it and it has a layer of sellotape cleverly built in to it which you then wrap around it so the ink doesnt rub off.

  • Each dispenser contains a roll of pre-cut Self Laminating labels for Wire, cable and pipe identification * Each label has a white write on area for easy marking * Special pad allows easy marking * Marker dispenses automatically when the liner is pulled from base of unit * On application, the mark is protected against mechanical influences by an over laminated adhesive lined transparent layer * Temperature Range: -40°C to +120°C
[g]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

That sounds very similar (obviously I meant laminating and not amalgamating) but the format is much better suited to the one-off uses suggested by the original post than the A4 sheets we use.

In fact I might get some to use at work for the one-offs as the A4 sheets, while good for production runs are a pain for one-offs.

Reply to
Calvin Sambrook

Possibly not useful for the specific application as most such cable is black, but I have recently come across Edding 8404 aerospace markers. Water based ink, fine lines, and largely solvent and rub-proof. Write on many plastics and metals. Amazingly good.

I got mine from Cult Pens (no connection except as a satisfied customer):

Reply to
Rod

Unfortunately, over a long term Sellotape adhesive dries out and the becomes brown. I've got several archival documents that have been runied that way

Reply to
John Weston

It also loses adhesion.

Reply to