Bulging roof

I've just put in an offer for a lovely 3 bed terrace house, beautifully presented and in an excellent location. They've accepted 10K ( 20% ) less than the going rate for similar properties in the street. There are a couple of reasons for this of course, and I'm happy to go with them e.g. plaster and lath ceilings, no central heating and could probably do with new wiring, but the roof worries me. I've only just noticed it. The basic survey is due in a day or two and may answer my question to some extent, but I'm twitching! The house has also been on the market for 3 weeks which worries me as they tend to go within 1-2 days here.( Llanelli )

There is a bulge on the front roof where it joins the neighbouring roof. The bulging runs about half the length of the "join" and seems to eminate from and largely exist in proximity to where the chimney used to be. You can see new tiles where the chimney once stood. The bulge is on both sides of the join and I would say is about two inches or so high. What might have caused this and any one have any idea as to how much such a problem would be to fix? There is no sign of water damage or dampness in the house at all.

Many thanks in advance,

Fran

Reply to
nickp

Most likely the rafters have sagged EXCEPT in proximity to the chimney.

Probably sound enough, but if it offends the eye, get the whole roof replaced. Not as expensive as you might think, unless access is very hard. Recommended if the survey shows that more than a grand or two of roof repairs are indicated.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sagging rafters and the party wall holding the lath and tiles up a little higher.

Common, and not a problem - unless a sharp arris has punctured the roof felt leading to water ingress.

dg

Reply to
dg