Bonding oolitic limestone.

I've a large fireplace made from polished oolitic limestone banded with black slate. I need to repair some cracks in both the limestone and the slate where decorative panels have borne a load as a result of the floor shifting and the weight transferring from the structural pillars. All the cracks are clean and mate perfectly.

Any suggestions as to the appropriate adhesive?

Reply to
PeterMcC

Something epoxy like. Milliput is reasonable. And available in several colours.

Car body filler is excellent, but available in in only one.!

Ideally I would use a polyester resin with bits of the original material ground up and used as a gap filler.

If the parts fit perfectly, use a decent epoxy, mix throughly,apply, fit parts and clamp, and wipe surplus away with rag soaked in organic solvent - acetone or the like. It should repair almost invisibly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher