Boiler question

I HAVE A COMBI BOILER: VOKERA 20-80 RS. IN THE PAST I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO RAISE THE PRESSURE SO THAT IT STAYS ABOVE 1.5. I DID THIS BY GOING UNDER THE SINK AND OPENING A VALVE SLOWLY UNTIL THE PRESSURE ROSE. THIS VALVE WAS CONNECTED TO ANOTHER VALVE VIA A 12INCH LONG FLEXIBLE TUBE. I THINK THAT ONE END WAS FOR HOT AND THE OTHER FOR COLD. ANYWAY, MY LAST REPAIR MAN REMOVE THE TUBE SO I CANNOT NOW CHANGE THE PRESSURE.I WANT TO RECONNECT THE TUBE MYSELF BUT AM NOT SURE IF THIS TUBE MUST BE FILLED WITH WATER BEFORE I RECONNECT.....OR IS IT SUPPOSED TO BE AIR-FILLED. PLEASE ADVISE ....! CHEERS.

Reply to
Man-of-Kent

Don't shout - i.e. by using all upper-case. The filling loop hose needs to be connected at both ends before you open the valve. The normal working pressure is generally 1.0 and you shouldn't need to top up the system unless it gets below around 0.9. If you run the system at a higher pressure you increase the risk of seepage losses.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

STOP SHOUTING IN CAPITALS AND SOMEBODY MIGHT ANSWER YOU.

Reply to
Ric

Much more than you need to know is in the SealedCH FAQ below.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

reconnect it,top up to correct cold system pressure then disconnect again

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

OK, so I need to reconnect this filler hose, and then I can alter the pressure......but in order to re-connect the hose, do I need to fill the hose with water first or not...this is my question...

Thanks for the help so far !

Reply to
Man-of-Kent

No. Turning the tap on with the hose disconnected will result in a large puddle on the floor.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I presume you're using a filling loop to top up the pressure on a combi boiler. You just connect one end of the loop to the mains water pipe and the other to the central heating pipe, then turn the valve key at the main water pipe end to open. Turn it off when you've achieved the required pressure and disconnect the loop/hose.

No, because as Christian says, you'll get water going everywhere. Don't tell anyone but 99% of filling loop hoses are probably connected permanently with the valves turned off of course. If you disconnect and reconnect then when you top up the system you will introduce a tiny bit of air but it's not going to cause any problem.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

In the US, they are left connected whilst turned on, with a PRV set to the required pressure. To me, that removes two of the main benefits of pressurised primary circuits. (a) The ability to limit water damage/loss in the event of a leak. (b) The ability to spot a slow leak by gradual pressure reduction.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

OK Thanks very much for that....I will do this.

Reply to
Man-of-Kent

Generally speaking, unless you have been told otherwise, or live on a house with more than 3 floors (where it may require a higher or lower figure, depending on house height and boiler location), then aim for 1 bar when cold.

Should you notice that it creeps above 1.5 bar when hot (when set for 1 bar cold), the system needs servicing. In particular, you need to fix the expansion vessel, or add an additional one of greater capacity.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle