boiler question

I have an open flued boiler at the moment. The boiler sits in an internal cupboard with the flue going straight up through the attic space and outside through the roof. I am thinking of replacing the boiler with a newer model. Could i fit a boiler with a fanned flue while keeping the existing flue pipes? Am i right in thinking that a FF system is room sealed and safer than an OF system?

Thanks in advance...

Gerry

Reply to
Cuprager

You can us the existing pipes. Some boilers, Keston is one, use two plastic drain pipes for the flue. The exhaust may go up the existing flue pipe and terminate over the roof. The problem is the other air inlet pipe. which can be routed maybe under a floor to the outside. the two pipes do not have to be terminated at the same place. This is great for flexible fluting.

to open account

Reply to
Dr Evil

No. However, if the existing flue pipe is straight, it might be possible to shove a new flue pipe up the middle, with a new termination on the top. Best for this would be models that can use high temp drain pipe as the flue, as they can often have the exhaust go up the chimney and have air supply through the wall.

Yes.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Provided the flue is straight and access to the terminal is not prohibitively expensive. The sections will have to be jointed and lowered into the flue from above. There are some minor restrictions on the placement of the flue and air duct terminals.

My guess is that in almost every location there will be some very good reason why using the existing flue is not practical.

Other manufacturers can use plastic flues albeit with a (possibly) expensive option adaptor.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Fan Flued boilers are effectively room sealed so yes you are correct in saying they are safer. It would depend on many factors but the usual fan flued models employ a concentric system whereby the inner tube conveys flue gases out of the building and the outer tube conveys combustion air from outside to the boiler. Different manufacturers have different standard requirements as to maximum length permitted (with equivalent lengths for elbows etc). As you do not mention whether the building is a bungalow or a house or which floor it is on I can't be any more specific. I can say that if it is within the maximum equivalent length for whichever boiler you choose then the route of the old flue may be usable but the actual old flue pipe is unlikely to be usable. Some boilers can use two seperate pipes which allows greater flue and intake lengths so you do have greater options for flexiblity. Also worth looking at are versions of the Ideal Vertex flue system which uses a concentric fan flue into the loft space where combustion air is drawn in then a single flue outlet tube passes through the roof to a discharge point. I suggest you look into suitable boilers then ask the manufacturer for the available flueing options for that (those) models

HTH

Reply to
John

. As you do

We live in a 1900's sandstone built flat. We are on the top, the boiler sits in an internal cupboard and the flue goes straight up through the ceiling and out through the roof without any bends or elbows it terminates with a 'pointy hat' type of cowl. I guestimate that the flue pipe will be around 3m in length.

Thanks for all your input. I think i would like to go down the FF route as i don't really like having an OF boiler in the living space... don't know if this notion is properly founded or just me being paranoid though!

Reply to
Cuprager

Sounds ideal for a vertical fan flued option so you can either do the job before April 1st if you want to use non condensing technology or timing is immaterial if you opt for condensing. Think about Glow worm condensers amongst others as they are well made, simple installation and stainless steel heat exchangers.

Reply to
John