Blocking / capping off toilet

I'm in the process of removing an old outside toilet. After removing the toilet should it be OK to just blocking the hole underneath part of a patio slab, or should I be blocking it off where it enters the sewer chamber.

The bricks (2 layers) would prevent any rats etc leaving the sewer. If the sewer chamber backed up it would overflow from the manhole before it hit the patio.

thanks for any advice

Reply to
gna03633

Last time I did this was 25+ years ago. I stuffed a wad of newspaper well into the pipe & filled it with concrete. The BCO suggested it. It was screeded over later.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That works just fine but look out for the Building Regs rule about not leaving too long a stub sewer pipe. I can't remember the length allowed but ISTR there is a limit. The BRs are all available online so no excuses for not finding out the rules (then breaking them if appropriate!)

Reply to
Calvin

That is still the usual thing. I did one in February, and in my innocence, went to a builders merchants to buy a rubber bung for the pipe, and although there is one available, they are not used much, as the pipe is nearly always concreted over, hence the rubber bung is a waste of money, unless of course, the pipe is likely to be opened up again, so the rubber bung could be taken out easily. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I think they were on stone tablets when I did mine :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks for the advice. I'd read the Part H - Drainage and waste disposal so was sort of aware of what I need to know from a building regs perspective. I was interested in what people really did. I'll cap off the top with bricks with a DPC over (which I need anyway) and aim to brick up the soil run where it enters the chamber.

Reply to
gna03633