Better use of loft for light storage

Yes, but the poster's pics started showing on my screen as huge, then they shrank to fit the vertical dimension of the screen. It only took seconds and wasn't a problem, I've noticed this happening before - but it doesn't always. Perhaps it was the program he was using. It wasn't a problem, I didn't have to scroll to see the complete picture.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes, but some people have much slower connections than yours. For them it's inconvenient to have to wait ages for a large detailed picture to be downloaded, only for it to be shrunk to a more convenient size. A photo that was smaller to start off with would have downloaded much more quickly. Those "seconds" can stretch to minutes with a modem connection.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Its all a question of software. For each application there is a wide range of software around, some fat and bloated, some lean and quick. The usual problem with older machines is simply that people have installed software indiscriminately and some of it brings the thing to a crawl. CLean it all off, put the right things on, and even a P2 can do todays websites no problem.

Opera is the fastest of the main browsers, it blocks popups, and a hosts file can block all your ads.

Theres also the option to stop the useless wndows processes running.

If I pay good money for aster hardware, I dont then want to throw that gain away by infesting it with fat junk software. Choosing your software sensibly has _more_ to do with performance IRL than hardware specs.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I'm not sure I understand that - I have a modem connection and my equipment is about four years old so not state of the art, cutting edge technology!

I was only asking :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Many thanks to Dave H, Someone and Darryl for the informative and constructive replies, advice taken and I will get professional advice on doing it the right way. Its either that or I have to loose the concrete roof tiles ;)

Many thanks

Mike.

Reply to
MikeT

Fair enough - I was only explaining. You didn't say how *many* seconds. :-)

Reply to
Mike Barnes