Best ways to make external steelwork rust-proof?

Fascinating. H&S would do their nut at just about every aspect of this construction job!
Justin.
On 11/04/2015 18:33, AL_n wrote:

Will the steel structure actually be exposed to rain, or will it be protected by plastic/wood/etc. cladding of some kind?
In my limited experience, painted (but ungalvanised) steel beams last quite well if they rarely encounter liquid water.

I've found that painted and ungalvanised steel works fine even when they do get wet whenever it rains. I did both my gates that way, using rhs, and they haven't rusted in 40 years now.
On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 06:13:23 +1000, Rod Speed wrote:

What's rhs?

rectangular hollow section, square or rectangular steel in this case tube. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollow_structural_section

Royal Horticultural Society?
Maybe something composed of Waxoyl and Irn Bru but it tastes of chicken?
It's Wodney, it could be anything

It would be difficult to protect the structure from rainwater. It might however, be possible to make it all out-of-sight, say by encasing the girders in upvc.. (Not easy, but just about doable. But probably cheaper than galvanizing). I'm just a bit concerned that where the angle-section steel will project from the painted wall of the house, there would be a constant rust stain projecting downwards that would constantly need painting-over. But perhaps that's a price worth paying to avoid the cost of galvanizing.
Many thanks to all for the other advice here.
Al