Best type of central heating

Heat pumps are NOT green. They use electricity that is about 30% efficient from station to home.

They are horrendously expensive to install. The running cost is about the same as a gas condensing boiler which is "very" cheap to buy in comparison. They tend to work better on low temperature heating and in many cases cannot produce hot enough water in winter for DHW. Working continuously they can over-cool the ground around and have to be switched off to allow the ground to recover.

A minor plus point is the no maintenance. Well not quite right as the inhibitor in the loop needs periodic attention.

The do have their place, but only in remote areas. The sums have to be done properly beforehand before going heat pump. Mabny people go for them because it is a fad.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Yes but overall gain is better?...

Wouldn't it be better to take the latent heat from the outside air?, which unlike the ground is easily "re-heated"?.....

Reply to
tony sayer

How do you know that?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Logic is against them. And I have met tow people who bought them because they liked the technology.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Air to water heat pumps perform abysmally in winter and need assistance from an immersion to get hot DHW. They are only good enough to run a "very" low temp underfloor heating system (more extra expense again) . They are not recommended for thermal stores.

What determines heat pumps is the COP (Coefficient Of Performance). An electric immersion heater is COP 1, as it turns 100% of the energy used into heat. A condensing boilers is about COP 0.85. Most heat pumps are about 3 to 4, so can just compete with a gas condensing boilers on running costs (electricity is 4 times the cost of gas per kW). I believe some very expensive heat pumps just on the market in the USA are now getting COP 7. This may make them more attractive, especially air to water versions, as no expensive trenches or vertical 60 foot holes to drill. But still the sums have to be done, and the operation assessed properly. Will it deliver enough heat in winter, etc?

At COP 7 a ground sourced heat pump may be well worth it. But I fear it will extract heat from the ground faster than the ground can re-heat the surrounding earth, so a very long and/or deep slinky will be required, which is even more capital cost.

With all this capital outlay you may as well spend it on insulation and air-tightness of the house, that keep steh hosue warm and cool, and not worry ever again about machines.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

That doesn't mean that they go for them because it's a fad.

Nor does that. But even if it did, two people don't add up to "many".

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

not many are sold.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

You know so much ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

yep. What do you know about this?

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Reply to
manatbandq

You can place a regular top up order with most of the big oil companies which avoids your need to keep an eye on your tank. This does of course remove your potential savings by stopping you "ringing around" for your next fill up price.

Reply to
John

Also if you have an account with a decent supplier they'll call you when they think you might be about to run out. Not quite as good as monitoring the sight gauge though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Probably more than you did before your Googling....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I love it. A typical loonie reaction. When I astound them they say I got it from Google. Classic, truly classic.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Look you moron, there is a (later) thread that is asking "Should balancing gate valves be on flow or return?" which you have not posted to, if you really do know what you are talking about than you would have answered the posters question, but you have not - and why not, because you are nothing but a Googling moron who knows nothing more than how to play with yourself !

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

More classic reactions.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Only offensive to you, but it's the truth about you to everyone else !

Just seen yet another thread that your expertise has passed by, namely " Draining CH and hot water?". If you are the highly skilled plumber / heating engineer and not just the Googling boy of self abuse you would have posted to that group also....

Does your mummy know you're skipping 'sckool' again ?...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

That's because NPower are required by law to buy a certain percentage of their electricity from non-carbon sources. They then sell that electricity to Juice customers (like me) who get a nice warm fuzzy feeling - but haven't actually contributed to saving the planet :-( (Well, we do a bit. Juice promise to put so much per kWh into a fund for developing green energy).

I found this out when I was reviewing our electricity, and check out the Friends of the Earth website. The conclusion seems to be that there aren't any reliably green electricity suppliers.

Reply to
martinfrompi

How much are these?

Mark