Best bitter

In message snipped-for-privacy@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>, Joe snipped-for-privacy@jretrading.com writes

One memorable pint I had was the Watneys Special they served in the Savoy Hotel in Nottingham, in 1973. Living in West London at the time, when in a Watneys pub it was usually my drink of choice (although I'm not sure what was so special about it), but the Nottingham pint definitely made a special impression on me. [The occasion was doubly memorable because a group of about a dozen extremely good-looking young ladies came trooping in for an obviously pre-booked meal. It was only later that I learned that Nottingham has/had a reputation for having some of the prettiest ladies in the UK!]

Reply to
Ian Jackson

The Bass in our local came from Burton on Trent, reckoned to best place in the country to brew bitter because of its water. It was brewed using the Burton Union system.

When the Bass Union barrels became delapidated isome time in the 1970s they changed to a more conventional brewing process and the flavour changed and not for the better, although it was still very drinkable.

Reply to
R Souls

The best thing to come out of Burton on Trent has to be Marmite.

Reply to
Bob Eager