best all-purpose sander?

I have an approx 1 sq-m area of pine square-edge floorboards to level and prepare for staining as well as a medium-sized painted staircase. Which type of sander would best handle both: a good orbital sander or a belt sander?

tia

- cal9000

Reply to
cal9000

Orbital is a finish sander, even with rough paper.

Belt is a "rip loads off" sander, even with smooth paper, a bit like a power plane, if you fit 40 or 60 grit.

The problem you will most likley have is getting into the edges :-(

Rick

Reply to
Rick

I'd reccommend a RANDOM Orbit Sander like this

40 grit paper it's almost like a belt sander, but much easier to control and you can go up to 240 grit for very fine finish if needs be.

I was in a B&Q Depot the other day and they had some on clearance very cheap!

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Some more info here:

orbit will be best for most of it. You may need a delta sander for the corners (or do those bits by hand).

Reply to
John Rumm

Thx to all for the great advice!

- cal9000