Beautifully OCD cable management

The world is not going back to Econet however nicely you ask ...

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yup. That sort of thing, even if the 'database' is a sheet of handwritten paper glued inside the rack...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

For cables that aren't moved too much & aren't black I just use a waterproo f pen. Works fine as long as you're willing to redo the numbers if you see faded out ones. Write it on 3 times at each end.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That's OK for home, but customers tend to think its amateurish.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was about to comment, that what you can't see is the rat's nest of extra wire that must be bundled up somewhere, since I doubt all those cables were terminated on site to be the exact length required (ignoring the ones to the back of the patch panels)

Reply to
John Rumm

I was trying to follow a wire through a small 12 or 16 U wall cabinet the other day. It all looked quite neat until you realise they had used over long patch leads and then "lost" the extra length by doubling back a forth a few times in the cable management combs. Hence they were all stuffed full, but with several layers of the same cable.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yep :)

is one of mine (I wired that in 2011). It's not as impeccable as the examples, but it was done buy buying a sample set of cables in 50cm increments (just ordinary ProConnect IIRC cables from Onecall) and seeing what worked where. Then ordering the right set.

And yes, every cable is labelled with a sharpie - mains with fly tags.

Took a while, but I am a jack of trades, not a hard core wireman.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Oh - and that piccy with the glass floor tile: Canon had a demo room in London with one of those. I bet the cables were not so neat elsewhere!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Not bad, but I bet exhaust heat has made 1/2 of those dymo labels fall fall off by now, the nylon dymo tapes are better, but the self-laminating wrap around laser printed ones are even better, e.g.

Reply to
Andy Burns

En el artículo , John Rumm escribió:

Simple. You order in a shitload of different lengths and use the closest fit. Same for the IEC-IEC mains cables. Also use different coloured patch leads for different services - VOIP, POTS, ISDN, Ethernet, fibre, serial, etc. etc. etc.

At one site I tidied up, I used grey for the unidentifiable cables that were live but had no obvious destination. Probably the uplink to CGHQ.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Tim Watts escribió:

Nicely done.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Andy Burns escribió:

I used a professional Brady cable label printer at work. It was a pain in the arse.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I often use an aerospace pen for things like cables - at home.

Not perfect, it can wear, but adequate for numerous purposes.

Reply to
polygonum

I was wondering if there was enough slack in the cables to enable the kit to be removed from the rack still connected for fault finding.

As the outlets from the three PSUs(?) just below half way down appear to be fairly obscured by cables particulary the two end ones.

Are they Dymo or Brother P-touch?

I've been pretty impressed by P-touch labels, not had them fail on me, that includes around flow/retrun pipes on the CH system, wrapped flag wise around cables etc.

The annoyance is the machine and a dot matrix character display not a proper graphics one so you don't get to see the label layout until you print it. I wonder how hard it would be to hack the print head?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It is true that the dymo does lose stickiness - but they are still there (I tweak the odd one back together if I'm there changing a disk).

Thanks for the tip on the laser labels.

Reply to
Tim Watts

As mentioned, I use a fine tip Sharpie to similar effect. Marked all the mains cables in my roof the same way - and the marks are still bold some years later.

Reply to
Tim Watts

obvious

How does that relate to the 6 x 4 matrix of floor boxes in the second floor office space?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Funny you should mention SilverFox, that's what we used as they didn't unwind and fall into the floor void - unlike the Dymo ones. And I laser-printed them.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Install the cable management arm that comes with your 1u high server

Reply to
Tim Streater

HP seem to have given up with the arms at least on the 1U models, not fitted dell for years so don't know about them.

Reply to
Andy Burns