Battery charger go bang!

Several years ago I bought a Tronic charger from Lidl. After about 34 months it packed up and Lidl sent me a new one - well done Lidl. This second one went bang and emitted the smell of burning (elec)tronic bits

- as the was some metallic content in the sound I guess at an aluminium capacitor. It also took out the 3A fuse.

I'm now looking for a decent charger, preferably one that gentle on good NiMH cells and, if possible, give the capacity. I considered this one, as it's had good reports:

there seems to be only one supplier and has only 12 months' warranty, so reliability/price seems dubious.

Any recommendations please?

Reply to
PeterC

Take your choice...

Or if you definitely want only NiMH...

Read the reviews!

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I have one of these

Pleased with it for NiMH AA/AAA and Li-ion 18650/26650s, it will do a discharge/recharge cycle and measure voltage, capacity, internal resistance etc.

Advert says NiCd also, but I don't remember it handling those.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Replace the capacitor. May need a new mains diode/bridge too.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

my go-to reference.

I've used the ISDT C4 which is pretty nice and easy to use:

and the Opus BT-C3100 which is not as shiny but still does the business and is cheaper (also fits 4x 18650s not 2 as the C4 does):
On both of these you can set the charge currents so as not to overcook small batteries. They do all the cell analysis stuff you might want too.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I have one that looks identical to that but is branded 7dayshop

Had it for a couple of years, and seems to work well. Gives capacity, adjustable charge/discharge current, cell voltage. Only does AA/AAA cells and does not do lithium batteries but for what I need its good.

Reply to
Chris B

Yes, I always read the reviews to see if there's any no-go point arising.

Reply to
PeterC

Thanks for all the links and feedback - plenty to go at there. Now I have to choose one, um, er...

Reply to
PeterC

But has the massive downside that it doesn?t do protected 18650s.

But the UI is much worse than the C4.

Reply to
Jac Brown