Bathroom - keeping it clean ( OT?)

I was admiring a friends new bathroom and commented that it all looked very sparkly - but it would be a shame the see it dulled with soap scum. Friend said they were only going to use liquid soaps as they leave less mess.

I suppose this is a good point as soaps are made with fats. I need to work down my stock of Imperial Leather (buy one get one free!) - in the meantime has anyone any views on a liquid soap regime?

Reply to
John

I tend to use liquid soaps everywhere and also a water softener. It is pretty easy to keep everything clean.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

"John" wrote | has anyone any views on a liquid soap regime?

It'll keep your bowels loose.

Bio washing liquid is ace for cleaning baths etc. Doesn't smell as nice as l'Occitan Eau de Contadour though.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Bar soap is made of fat, liquid soap is not. I haven't bought bar soap for years for the simple reason that it mucks up the washbowl. Liquid soap doesn't. Great stuff.

Reply to
MB

Liquid soap is the only thing which makes my hands dry.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Towels do it for me . :-) stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Now there's a novelty!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

We've been using towels for this for years with no real problems. :-)

Cheers,

William.

Reply to
William McNicol

It is true that soap is derived from animal fat but what about the significant amounts of human fat that comes from the skin?

Reply to
BillV

Not always, much uses vegetable fat or even mineral oils these days.

The trouble with liquid 'soap' is that it isn't soap, it's more akin to washing up detergent. That's why it can be 'drying' to the skin and it feels nasty, in my opinion.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I disagree with that.

Bar soap is made from a strong alkali - Sodium Hydroxide. The bar soaps tend to be very stongly alkali as a result. Human skin is mildly acidic which is why hard soaps cause skin dryness (anyone with dry skin will tell you that)

The detergents tend to be better in that respect - although a cheap rough detergent such as a washing up liquid is very harsh. The bath ones tend to be a bit softer in that respect.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Mills

I've made soap and know a bit about chemistry. NaOH is indeed a strong alkali but it's neutralised during the process of saponification.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

And full of salt .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

You don't use Dove with 50% moisturiser then

Reply to
geoff

That's my opinion too...

Reply to