Bathroom drainage problem.

Hi Had slow sink drainage which seems to have been cured by Mr Muscle drain unblocker. But now bath is draining slow so I tried Mr Muscle again but still not totally clear. If I fill sink with water and then let it all go, it flows away quickly but it also forces a load of gunk up through into the bath. This 'gunk' seems to be mostly white crispy which I presume is limescale? Moved into house 5 months ago and brought our water softener with us and installed it (South Hampshire area). I think the plumbing is unchanged since house built in 1989. So, is the soft water loosening all the old limescale? and what can I do to clear it as it does not seem to flush down, but only back up into the bath. Thanks for any advice. Paul

Reply to
Paul C

Try using a mechanical plunger. I have a 'modern' plunger that looks more like a old-fashioned motorcycle front fork cover which, when filled with water, will shift most blockages.

Don't forget to seal off the drain in the sink and the overflow too to prevent loss of pressure when plunging.

Reply to
David Chaplin

Sounds like the problem is clear..the solution?

Mr Muscle clears fats..you need an acid to clear scale.

But BEWARE. MOST acids - even descaling ones..are anathema to chrome.

IF there is any flow into the bath, get a funnel and carefully pour some brick acid down the waste avoiding the metalworks as much as possible, and then flush the metal with cold water afterwards.

If there is fizzing and foaming you have scale down there.

Repeat till no more fizzing and foaming, and then use more Mr Muscle to clean up any fats still left.

AS plunger sometimes helps too..if you can seal the overflow..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher