Basic - painting a ceiling

Hello all Maintained my cars for years, done woodwork, plumbing and electrics but always moved house when a ceiling needed painting. Like this house and don't want awkward questions around part p so am finally going to have to paint a ceiling.

Ceiling is being professionally skimmed flat. It is about 9 inches higher than my reach. About 12.5 sq m.

Don't want to hire any platforms Don't want to buy or hire any expensive pump gadgets.

Is it just a question of cutting in around the edge and then using a roller?

Any advice on length of roller handle or type of roller? Bad back would not appreciate too much weight too far forward.

I understand first coat should be thinned non vinyl and that a further 2 or 3 coats will be required?

Room will be cleared and will be totally redecorated and carpeted so only me to protect from splashes.

TIA for all replies not involving angle grinders. (Yes I have got one but it doesn't seem much use for this job.)

Reply to
Invisible Man

Invisible Man wibbled on Thursday 25 February 2010 16:18

Basically, yes.

Worth giving it a "mist coat" (diluted matt white emuslsion) first if it's new plaster.

IME, the roller matters more than the pole. Get a pole that is telescopic and can be locked at various lengths - makes things a little easier.

I've found 2 further coats of dulux rich matt emulsion covers fine (almost OK after the first coat). YMMV.

Reply to
Tim Watts

So your'e ignoring the tool of 2010, the pressure washer? Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

In my case best approach is leave it until wife decides it needs painting then offer to buy her the paint.

If ceiling has been painted before no need to thin down ... if new skim, then put a base coat of plain trade white matt emulsion .... it will soak right it.

Cut in around edges, but don't cut in more than a 3m x 3m area .. otherwise it will dry before you start rolling in ,,, and joins will show.

Don't bother with any contraptions ... paint is too expensive ... and you would never see a painter & decorator using one.

By a roller on a pole at least 12" wide thick pile ( NEVER EVER foam) ... use quality paint Macpherson's Trade range is good. In fact go to a trade outlet and you will get good paint & roller in one place.

Should be OK with base + 1 coat., possibly base +2 as you have not done it before - don't over roll as it will dry patchy.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Got one but suspect it might go right through the ceiling and the roof.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Tried that. She's having physio for her neck from a previous little ceiling.

Thanks

Reply to
Invisible Man

Wear a big hat and covering or you end up speckled.

Reply to
F Murtz

Rollers have lots of fans, but personally I prefer paint pads. They can be used with extension handles, if you wish, to avoid ladder work.

Drips can occur, depending upon the paint, but there is no fine mist as you can get from rollers.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 16:18:12 +0000, Invisible Man hurriedly dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

Avoid rollering back and forth from your position, roll across and you wont get paint on yourself

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

short hair roller, the rest doesnt seem to matter much

that's the most popular way, but there's a quicker one. First paint to be water alone, which is brushed on very quickly, as it doesnt matter about splash or overpainting. Give it 5 mins to soak in then apply full strength paint. You get a faster result.

cover yourself all you want, there's no escaping the speckles.

NT

Reply to
NT

Is that not a very unnatural way to do things .Does it not cause aches and pains and does the roller not skitter across the surface .I'd imagine you don't get the same control over the roller either as you don't get the same control over the pressure you use ..

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Usenet Nutter wibbled on Friday 26 February 2010 09:48

Arms-falling-off syndrome is the worst bit of painting ceilings, along with bent-neck-syndrome. Personally, I try to find a position (with a suitable length of roller pole) that is comfortable and be damned with paint splatters. Wear a hat... Or get a "Picard" hair cut ;->

Reply to
Tim Watts

Already got a shaved head. Got to try to work out where my old specs are! I suspect lower back and neck might play up for a bit.

Reply to
Invisible Man

The worst bit is trying to see what you've painted and what you haven't. Light is usually good in the morning and gets progressively worse as the day wears on. Nice if you can have somebody wandering about saying "You've missed a bit"

Reply to
stuart noble

I second this - I much prefer pads. I also find they provide a less textured (mottled) finish that rollers can.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

Ideally, whilst you are still painting ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Or at least not after you've cleaned the brushes :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

Agreed. I have become a pad convert, too, after years of using rollers.

Reply to
S Viemeister

short hair roller, the rest doesnt seem to matter much

that's the most popular way, but there's a quicker one. First paint to be water alone, which is brushed on very quickly, as it doesnt matter about splash or overpainting. Give it 5 mins to soak in then apply full strength paint. You get a faster result.

cover yourself all you want, there's no escaping the speckles.

To add my pennies worth; I am not saying this is good but it is what I do; as you are doing more than 1 coat rather than clean the roller in between coats I use an old plastic carrier bag and fit it tightly around the roller to stop it drying out and then put that inside another. It has worked for me so far. Also when job is done I do this for another day in case I do need to go back and do the bit I missed. As for the speckles I gave up trying to avoid and just get covered in them and go enjoy a shower....with my specs on.

Reply to
SS