Banging in pipes

We've been getting a periodic "throbbing" in our water pipes, with a bang every 2-3 seconds. I've turned the main stopcock in the house down until it is almost closed. and that has almost eliminated the throbbing, though it has made the water pressure a little on the low side.

Is this a familiar phenomenon?

I suspect that after years of too low pressure (we had to install an electric pump to get the water up to the tank in the attic) the local authority have gone to the opposite extreme.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Did you used to write scripts for the Carry-On films?

Reply to
Dark Angel

Why not remove (or at least turn off)the pump?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Water hammers can be caused by a number of different circumstances...

youd have to explain what causes the noise....expect its a ball valv or tap washer..coupled with ill fitted pipewor

-- gastec

Reply to
gastec

I didn't express myself properly. The pump has long been removed - we used to have to use it when the pressure was too low. Now the pressure is - apparently - too high; or at least the pressure seems to vary with a period of a few seconds, as is apparent from the kitchen tap attached directly to the mains.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Do a google or search on this newsgroup with 'water hammer'. Plenty of answers there.

Reply to
daddyfreddy