Australia NDIY

Doesn't that count as "fire protection" and thus fall under the regulations?

Will the Institute of RF Technicians (Board members: Bruce, Bruce, Bruce and Bruce) kick up a fuss eventually?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Between that and the crappy bugs that bite yer ass, I wonder why people move there... If I had to, I'd choose KiwiLand over Oz - less sun, but no bugs and less regulations...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Not while wearing pink polo shirts surely?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I bet it's vaguely possible that you could get done for that here. If your tyres are spinning and squealing then you're not in control of the vehicle - you haven't got proper traction with the road surface. Is that "reckless" or "dangerous" driving? It's the equivalent of doing a wheelie on a motorcycle, perhaps?

In Australia you also *must* use your indicator when pulling back to the left-hand lane after overtaking in the outside lane (on dual carriageway or motorway). I think that's a bit strange because - as in the UK - the default in Oz is that you drive in the left-most lane, so you are

*expected* always to pull in to the left after overtaking, surely?

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

I was stopped in North Wales because "if you'd carried on accelerating like that you'd be going over 30 before leaving the 30 limit".

Quite.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

So were there any rules about trimming her bush?

Reply to
The Other Mike

I believe that is the offence Lewis Hamilton was charged with a few years back in Melbourne.

On the plus side (many years ago not now) if you were willing to take the risk of hitting a roo and it ending up in your face you could go as fast as you wanted out of urban areas in Northern Territory.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Ah yes, North Wales, I was stopped on the way back to Telford by a couple of coppers there because "there's something moving in the back of your car".

Yes, well it was a toddler watching "A Bug's Life" on the DVD screen in the back of the car. Apparently up in North Wales they don't have DVD screens in cars.

And the same for the Welsh ones.

It is astonishing that they can find some made up reason to stop you because A) you have non-Welsh number plates and B) They're bored.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Queensland's Electrical Safety Act 2002, forbidden tasks include:

installing a new power point. replacing a light switch. replacing a batten holder with a new light fitting. repairing an appliance such as a heater. altering the location of an existing power point. replacing a light fitting with a ceiling fan. constructing an extension lead. replacing a plug on the end of a lead.

WTF?!

Reply to
Zapp Brannigan

Under Queensland's Electrical Safety Act 2002, forbidden tasks include:

Not surprising if Rod is an example of an Australian DIYer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They won't even let you replace plugs???

Reply to
S Viemeister

They don't have the technical ability over there, it has to be imported. Cept for Wodney, of course, 40 years, man and boy building mud huts/sheds.

Reply to
scorched

We did "Design for Living" when I worra lad, which covered things like plugs, fuses, tap washers, chequebooks, current accounts, pensions, sexually-transmitted diseases, pregnancy, child-rearing, local and national government and elections and probably other stuff I've forgotten.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

En el artículo , Huge escribió:

Didn't Lewis Hamilton get done for that a couple years back?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Tim Watts escribió:

Anecdotally, an awful lot of them come back. I wonder if there are any figures for exactly how many.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Dave Plowman (News) escribió:

About as competent as Drivel but without the charisma.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Indeed. Something I had forgotten about.

Reply to
Huge

They wouldn't have had anything with a name like that when I were a lad...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's called some random string of letters nowadays, PSHFREOMG or something.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

I had a copper stop me on the bike at the bottom end of Regent's Park...

Him, "Do you know we had to do 60 to catch you up?"

Me, "Not surprising, I was watching you in the mirrors and you didn't decide to bother me until I was well in front of you. By the way, I was only doing 30 as I passed you cruising along at 20."

Then I headbutted his pal as we both bent down to look at the front tyre.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon