Asbestos in yer water...

Which points out, inter alia, that talc and asbestos are not similar, but the latter used (up to 1970s) to contaminate the former because they are found in the same places.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

No. its what every bird in the middle east does.

Their fannies don't smell of stale gorilla fart either

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is asbestos cement and painted with bitumen. Asbestos cement becomes dangerous due to weathering effects when the fibres are released Asbestos is dangerous when inhaled, you can eat as much as you like.

It has to be disposed of somewhere where it the fibres aren't likely to get into the general environment.

Even somebody as thick as you should understand such simple stuff.

Reply to
harry

They ARE identical chemically and often come from the same place. They have different crystalline structures.

And asbestos contamination of talc has been a problem in the past.

harry

The problem with asbestos is that its a mineral that does not degrade over time and is most dangerous if it gets into the lungs. You can eat it and it will get passed through your digestive tract unchanged. The asbestos cement is less dangerous as its not in fibre form. Its ground down into very tiny pieces.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That is either the dumbest or the smartest question I've heard - but I like it!

Reply to
Mark Allread

Chemical formula wise they are *very* similar indeed the difference is in the exact crystalline form being blocky/amporphous or needle like.

And it still does if you look carefully enough at least for the non-cosmetic grades of industrial talc. H&S are now requiring dust masks for workers handling industrial grade talc which invariably does contain traces of asbestos. I suspect it is present in cosmetic grade too since you can only look so deep with a light microscope.

Martin Brown

You know this, how?

There's an achievement to be proud of.

Reply to
Richard

I think the producers of cosmetic grades of talc are well aware of the problem, and are sufficiently well resourced to have their own analytical facilities, which would include scanning and transmission electron microscopes, more than capable of identifying tremolite in their products. Not all talc contains tremolite.

A company I used to work for was at one time interested in working talc deposits on the Isle of Harris in the Outer Hebrides, until they discovered it contained traces of tremolite, when they dropped it like a hot potato.

Chrysotile asbestos (the white and less harmful stuff with shorter fibres) can be found in narrow veins and in pebbles on the cliffs and beaches of the Lizard peninsula in Cornwall.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Chris Hogg posted

This certainly used to be done until the 1970s at least. One of my worst ever jobs then was to carry asbestos lagging removed from old ships' boilers and pipework, and tip it into the holds of other ships, which then took it out into mid-Atlantic and dumped it.

Reply to
Handsome Jack

No, Brain, it isn';t.

Its used to reinforce cement to give it tensile strength like glass FIBRES are used in fibreglass.

Because its is fibres, its lends strength. Being ground up, it wouldn't add anything except bulk and sand is is just as good for bulk.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How do you think?

To them it is normal.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

With my brain. YMMV, of course. Again, how do you know "its what every bird in the middle east does."?

Sniffing gorilla farts is normal? Whatever floats yer boat.

Reply to
Richard

Pretty old report if you look at the date. I wonder if regulations have changed since then.

Reply to
Scott

Is this the first evidence of an apprentice with a functioning brain ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

What's Stratford got to do with it :-)

Reply to