Arranging coals on kohlgas fire

Has anyone got a manual on coal layout for model K2N 7000

Thankyou

Reply to
Ange

You have to arrange coals according to a _manual_? However did people manage when coal fires were the norm?

(Mind you, arranging kindling is a different matter: I never did get the hang of it. Even firelighters took ages.)

Reply to
Max Demian

Well it's a gas fire so the artificial coals probably *do* have a specific layout ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

01782 339000 and ask them

Its not listed as a current model

The Natural Philosopher

Play with it until it looks bearable. Normally the coals are on top of a vermiculite layer which spreads the gas evenly The coals just glow a bit edged by a few flames. We built our own many years ago and it still works in spite of her rearraging the bits yearly!

Reply to
Capitol

Hmm, I can just see the fitter carefully consulting the installation manual for the placement of every coal. Or rather, I can?t.

I think you just need a bit of trial and error to get a reasonably even distribution of heat and flame.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I've never owned a "living flame" type gas fire, but seem to remember seeing two different types, those where each coal is an individual piece, and probably you can arrange them as you see fit, within reason. The other type has the coals in pre-formed clumps and have one way where they fit together like a 3D jigsaw.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sounds a bit like those intelligence tests we all had to do when we were young about fitting shapes into holes. I'm never sure what to think about these gas coal fires. What is the point in making a gas fire look like a coal fire, it surely is not going to be very efficient if its been designed for its visuals not its heat output. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

They are very inefficient but the 'comfort factor' of a 'real fire', without the hassle of coal/wood etc can't be denied.

We've considered one of those enclosed gas fires, essentially the same beast but they have a 'box' and vents to recover some of the wasted heat which normally just 'warms the chimney'. However, while they look (quite) nice etc, in economic terms (ie money saved in gas used due to less heat being wasted), I suspect it would take a long time to justify it with our usage pattern.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Many years ago, at another's insistence (against my strong advice) I had an open hearth coal-effect gas fire fitted, and I'm convinced that the net effect was to cool the room as it drew in so much cold air. I was glad to leave it behind.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

You can get new kohl at Boots. I hear the No. 7 range is good.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I was in a place with a gas fire like that. There was a rather large gap under the door, and the more you turned the fire up the more cold air was drawn in.

Reply to
Max Demian

I always thought the open fireplace in the sitting room in our last house actually cooled the house down, for the same reason. It sure consumed a shit-load of wood (which fortunately I got for nothing at the time). I didn't want to install a log burner because it would have meant tearing out the very attractive stone fire place, although now we live in a house that *does* have a log burner, I wish we had. Oh, well, too late now!!

Reply to
Huge

It's not a problem with under fire air inflow.

Reply to
Capitol

There can be an 'issue' with air flow- gas fires require a specified flow of air (I can't recall the numbers). In our old house, we had 'vents' which were placed to ensure the flow didn't pass anywhere you would (normally) sit. We have the same in the current house. In older houses the air flow requirement can sometimes be met without vents, it is only when people have double glazing, draught-proofing etc that the vents are really needed.

I was told that some 'old' (Victorian?) fireplaces had vents incorporated into the hearth surround which 'drew' air from under the floor. Unless you placed your hand (etc) between the hearth surround and the fire itself, you wouldn't feel the cold air.

Reply to
Brian Reay

+1
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Our previous house built 1963 had an under fire air supply from outside. Our present house has the same provision, installed by me.

Reply to
Capitol

My dad installed a pair of what I recall were sold as Televents - plastic vent tubes let into the suspended floor either side of the fireplace - which you pulled up when the fire was lit. Rather like a periscope.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I suspect they wouldn't comply with the current rules for (some?) gas fires as they could be left closed/down.

Obviously the rules were not always as they are now so I'm not critising your father.

We have a vent and were told we didn't require one by one Corgi man who checked the gas installation, while another specifically wanted to check for one. It is possible the rules changed between the two checks (there are part of our annual CH service contract check).

Reply to
Brian Reay

Sorry, I didn't make it clear, it was so long ago (1950s) that it was a real coal fire in a Victorian fireplace.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon