Appropos of nothing in particular

I watched two men remove two wooden "telegraph" poles this morning. They shackled them to an hoist on their lorry and they came out like splinters from a boil.

I was impressed with the clean edges at the bottoms of the poles and went to have a closer look.

Clearly stamped as if it were done yesterday were the codes for each one.

I asked them how old the posts were and they said about 20 or 30 years.

I was deeply impressed. What a shame they were now firewood. There was nothing wrong with the poles. The elecricity was now being sent underground and the pylons were surplus to requirements.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

They may not have gone for firewood. You can buy them. I bought some that were taken out from outside my house so no delivery charge. I paid =A310 each. As you say, they were still in excellent condition. I built a shed out of them so they will probably be of use for several more decades.

Reply to
biff

In article , Michael Mcneil writes

They pressurise preservative into them for weeks. Wooden railway sleepers are the same. I dunno what the preservative is, but railway sleepers ooze tar continuously for years, so it's probably something really unhealthy.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell
[telegraph poles]

It used to be creosote, so yes, really unhealthy. When I was hiking somewhere in the region of Settle, I saw the kit they used for pressure-treating wood. Hi-tech it was not.

As we have a nothing in particular thread, this morning I recieved an email about my cons and scams FAQ asking if there was a scam which was remunerative and carried little risk. I answered with one word; "politics". ;-)

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

Not sure about the power ones but BT poles have the date pressed/carved into them - seen some recently that are early 1950's and still in perfect condition.

Reply to
Matt

I'd say "the law".

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That's abargain.

In the Chippenham B&Q (I was under pressure) I saw the tiniest shed imaginable for £99. It was one shed door wide and probably not much longer.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Surely the lottery? Poorer people *happily* pay more than they can afford so better off people enjoy improved sports and leisure facilities. With the law and politics, those paying are unhappy about it - here the payers are happy to be taxed - brilliant! The company running it has no risk, getting a guaranteed percentage - brilliant! (yes I do buy 2 lucky dips a week but that's all - you never know).

Bob Mannix

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Well, the law profits from illegal acts.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher