Apollo oil tank level gauge, move receiver?

My new oil tank (1100 litre Harlequin ITE) is fitted with an Apollo wireless level gauge. According to the instruction sheet which the installer gave me after setting it all up, the receiver should stay in the socket originally plugged into, but can be moved as long as one is patient and waits for an hour for the receiver to pick up the transmitter from its new location. I haven't decided yet where I'd like to position the receiver. It has to be within 200m of the tank transmitter.

Anyone had any experience of these Apollo units and how reliable they are long term?

MM

Reply to
MM

It makes no difference as long as it is signal range. The only reason that they are suggesting you do not move the receiver is in case you move it to a socket that is out of signal range - that would make you liable for a call out charge if the installer is called back because the receiver is no longer working.

Reply to
ARW

And that 200 m is almost certainly clear line of sight, bung a wall or three in the way and you could be lucky to get 10 m ...

The long wait on moving the receiver is because it has no back-up and the transmitter doesn't transmit very often to conserve battery. Our Oil Watchman takes around 15 mins to aquire a reading.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yeah, it does say "line of sight" in the instruction sheet. But 200m is a l o n g way. My German radio-controlled alarm clock gets its signal from somewhere in Germany.

MM

Reply to
MM

Does it receive German radio station broadcasts?

Reply to
ARW

Comparing the German DCF77 time signal with your wireless tank gauge is like comparing your TV signal with red light. Well almost!

Reply to
Fredxxx

I've got one that does and the one our village hall does too.

Reply to
charles

A sky dish gets its signal from over 20 thousand miles away. I think

200m isn't that far...
Reply to
Clive George

Apples and Oranges. If the transmitter in your tank transmitted at 30 to

50KW and at the same frequency I'm sure that you could receive it at the same distance you are from Germany. I'm not sure that you would want the electricity bill or the broadcasting charges. You probably wouldn't want all the readings from all the tanks within a couple of a hundred miles radius fitted with the same type of transmitter.
Reply to
alan_m

Best send MMs oil level transmitter up into the Clarke Belt then.

I cannot think of anywhere else to send it.

Reply to
ARW

Try putting a concrete wall between the Sky dish and satellite.

MM's wireless signal has a fighting chance of going through at least one course of bricks.

Reply to
Fredxxx

It's a clock, not a radio.

MM

Reply to
MM

Well, given that the tank is less than 15m from the house, I'd say

200m is like having the tank three doors down the road.

MM

Reply to
MM

That couldn't happen. The sender and receiver are paired.

MM

Reply to
MM

Can it tell you what time to refill your oil tank?

Reply to
ARW

Don't be silly. That is what the Apollo is for. Do keep up!

MM

Reply to
MM

It's not me that is asking stupid questions.

Reply to
ARW

Oh? What was "Does it receive German radio station broadcasts?" if not a stupid question asked by you?

MM

Reply to
MM

What has German radio got to do with a oil tank in Lincolnshire

Fuck all.

It's you that is asking stupid question as always unable to understand simple things.

Reply to
The Todal