Anyone into rubber?

Hi all,

My daughter and I made some basic 'Pan Pipes' tonight from various lengths of white PVC 15mm water pipe.

To tune each pipe as we made it we wraped some masking tape round a jointing dowell till it was an interference fit inside the end of the pipe then tuned the note to her tennor recorder.

So far we have 7 'pipes' ;-)

For a better adjustable 'bung' I thought a short length of rubber 'bar' would be good. It could be lubricated for tuneing then trimmed flush with the end and finally locked in with some superglue etc.

I tried a local Car Spares place thinking I might find a very thick 'O' ring or similar that I could cut up into 1" lengths but no luck? A Hoover 'upright' drive belt might also do the trick but I think it's a bit too small in section?

So, anyone know an 'everyday' supplier of a rubber 'bar' that would fit snugly inside some 15mm Speedfit (is it) type PVC pipe (so 11-12mm OD rubber might do it?).

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yup.

try

10 quid minimum order tho, so its a lot of pipes ye'll be makin begorrah!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I doubt rubber would be the ideal as it seriously affects the accoustics. However if you can't get some dowel of the right size or run some up on an electric drill or somesuch, why not try coating a bolt with silicon or Aradlite?

You only need a blanking off piece, yes? So a washer glued to the end of a piston would do, no?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

The whole point is that he wants a Rubber supplier. Did you really buy into that pan-pipe dream? My gosh, how some folk go about planning for the asking of embarrassing questions. For goodness sake Tim, if you want to buy rubber tubes, pipes, or rods, just say so. You do not need to dream up silly stories like a 10 yr old caught playing doctors. We Don't want to know what you want the stuff for.

Alice

Reply to
aliceNOTking27

Yes, I do.

Well, I found it a more interesting post than most. Tim made it amusing and memorable, most aren't.

I suggest that you stick around a bit before judging posters' intentions.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Any serious suggestions of rubber supplies may be useful. A while back I had no luck trying to find a source of rubber strip, withouth having to purchase industrial quantities of rubber sheet. (For use as stretchy equipment hold down straps if you really want to know.)

Reply to
Paul C Lewis

It's none of our business! But Tim's was interesting :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote | "Paul C Lewis" wrote | > (For use as stretchy equipment hold down straps if you really | > want to know.) | It's none of our business! But Tim's was interesting :-)

But Paul hasn't said what or whose equipment he wanted to hold down. And stretchy equipment at that. :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I cut strips and bands from old tractor inner tubes, mind they are not as stretchy as one might expect. Recently I came across some rubber ribbon in various grades :-(, more like balloon rubber and thus not well vulcanised, called TheraBand.

sylva

Smooth-on silicones and polyurethanes. If it's squidgy and castable, they make it.

Good UK distribution too:

Andy Dingley

All I know is that it isn't me :-(

How do I know that?

Because he only wanted small quantities ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

We're still using inner tubes from car tyres ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote | > But Paul hasn't said what or whose equipment he wanted to hold down. | > And stretchy equipment at that. :-) | All I know is that it isn't me :-(

Not me either :-)

| How do I know that? | Because he only wanted small quantities ...

Same reasoning, different err application.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Come to think of it, a bit of plastic pipe filled with silicone sealant would probably end up as a nice bung

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah well, better luck next time, eh?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well I tld ou where to buy foam cord, and how to make your own out of silicone rubber.

The rest is between you and your Gerbils.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher