Any salvage value to old lead pipe?

So do I and add aluminium to the list as well. Once I have accumulated a crate or two full I'll take it down the scrappy. Not worth doing unless you have that sort of quantity though.

Ali drinks cans can be quite profitable, big bag (2' dia 3'high volume of crushed cans is worth a few tens of pounds so if you haven't got to drive far it's enough for quite a few beers.

Yep a crate at the back of the garage for the scrap as and when it appears. When they get full do something about it, just as easy to throw the scrap in that bin as the real one.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There's that word again - 'beer'. Someone ought to take a hint..... ;)

PoP

----- If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at

I'll probably still ignore you but at least I'll get the message..... :)

Reply to
PoP

I'll pick up organising it.

Mid March? Mid week?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Sounds good to me. How does March 17th grab you? That's budget day and I'm sure we all want to spend what we've got left before the wallet gets ram-raided.....

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Where do you take your stuff!

We have 3 dustbins on the back garden .. rubbish, plastic and ally. Once the ally one is full (about a bin liner full, 2' x 3' ) I take it to the scrappy and get less than +AKM-2 ?

The cardboard goes elswhere ..

All the best

Reply to
T i m

Good plan.

Let me call a couple of pubs and check that it's OK. Did you make a reservation at the Green Man last time or just show up?

Any other suggestions that you know?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

That funny UTF-7 encoding has come back on again. B-)

This is a while back >5

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Andy Hall writes

Did someone mention a pissup ?

Reply to
geoff

Yep. Interested?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hi Dave, strange? I've now also set the "Send Usenet as: ASCII" on top of the "Default chrset: ASCII" ?

{I just went to send this and it tells me it can't send it because I that the 'pound' symbol. I assume because it's >127 in the chr table therefore would have to be 8bit? So do we have to type, GBP or what?}

How prices change? Our 'Ally' bag is mainly squashed drink cans (we have one of those can crushers so the bag is quite dense). Still under a couple of quid the last time we went. Also in the old days they would give you 50p for a car battery, they won't even take them now?. I have about 1/2 tonne of stand-by batteries and contacted a recycler about them. "If you have a tonne we would collect them for free, 1/2 tonne will cost you 50 pounds .. ".

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

If Dingly means shot as in small shot for shot-guns, I would say that he's wrong, and that no-one "casts their own". There's a particular reason for that.

For casting lead balls lead pipe is fine. So is lead flashing! A short story - a long time ago, two boys liked messing around, and pinched the lead off a council garage roof in a row of similar garages, for casting lead balls and things, and sending them through old doors! - this flashing was great stuff! The other boy, when he was old enough to get a car, needed a garage, too - so guess which one he got?? Anyway, I digress - WTF do you think people used in days of yore, old carts did not need "wheel weights"!

AFAIR in the late 1700s a musket ball fired by a competent shot would achieve a useful result (hitting a target 150' long by 6' high at 100 yards range) only 70% or so of the time. Accuracy wasn't a particularly achieveable thing! There was very little chance that a single shot would hit a single man-sized target at that range.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

as if they'd pay handsomely!

Reply to
Mike Barnard

I know it's daft. I used to store all my flat dry cells & NiCds etc not wishing to put heavy metals into landfill or up incerator chimneys. When I moved from Bristol I tried to find somewhere that would take them. No chance, I now just bung 'em in the bin...

So much for all the hype about protecting the enviroment and recycling.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Don't forget to put a little tape across PP3 terminals - they're close enough together to cause a short if a bit of tinfoil or wire wool comes into contact, and that, even if the battery is "flat", might start a fire in your bin.

It was a different situation, but I've started doing this since a fire at a previous place of employment. We *think* it started because someone disposed of a "dead" sealed lead-acid 12V battery into a general waste bin which also had bits of wire and polystyrene in it. Wouldn't have been a major problem, except that the bin was up against a wall along which was clipped a large chunk of SWA cable taking power to one wing of the building. Blew two of the three *incoming* fuses and forced me to wheel out the generator. All this, of course, at some unearthly hour in the middle of the night.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

Or, indeed, succumb to the d-i-y obsession with not throwing *anything* out In Case It'll Come In Useful by keeping the little plastic cap which PP3s now ship with for the smaller terminal. I'm sad enough to keep hold of mine and travel with them in place, when I carry a PP3 as backup voltsource for both the mobile and the Palm. (As opposed to the two 12V SLAs I hauled across the Glastonbury campus to keep all 4 family mobiles on the go for the whole extended weekend... damn, they were heavy! but useful).

Stefek

Reply to
stefek.zaba

Our local council tip (Folkestone) has a collection thingy for old batteries.

Dunno what they do with them though - probably take them to landfill :)

Darren

Reply to
dmc

A quiet beer and a good moan about the government more like ;)

Anyone who needs to make their wallet lighter is more than welcome ;)

Andy - no reservation at The Green Man, but my wife and I popped in a few days earlier to enquire about that - they said just turn up :)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

OK. Well, since the 17th is a Wednesday, it shouldn't be too busy.

I'll put up a separate thread later.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Will your local tip not take them?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I will be soon, when things slow down a bit

... and when I get bored with my diet - > 1 stone in two weeks Rah !

Reply to
geoff