Any experience of Grundfos recirculating pumps with "autoadapt"?

There is no Legionella risk with weeks cost in a pipe. The problem is with it sitting at a warm enough temp that is below the temp that kills it.

Reply to
543dsa

that's not a problem afaik.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The risk is of static water stored at a warm temperature, but 60C, but is circulated and during circulation cools below 60C shouldn't cause an issue. Despite it being cooler, it has been recently raised in temperature to more than the

60C, so the L will not survived.

Deadlegs of pipe, whether hot of cold pipes are a risk, because the L can breed in the static sections of pipe.

The above was what I was taught doing the L courses.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield
543dsa posted

There is virtually no Legionella risk in a domestic HW system anyway. It only happens in large commercial or industrial premises and in practice hardly ever there either.

Reply to
Handsome Jack

Not in the cold ones they don't and when it's a hot water pipe, that water goes down the drain until it is hot enough to use anyway.

They either got it wrong, or you did with what they said.

Reply to
543dsa

But it is less clear if that is because domestic HW systems have previously been run at higher temperatures that kills legionella and whether that is changing now with domestic HW systems run at lower temperatures to reduce the risk of burning kids and geriatrics.

Unlikely that the legionella turns up its noses at domestic HW systems.

and in practice

But clearly worth avoiding when it ends up with dead people.

Reply to
543dsa

Since widespread annual testing here in Treznal, I know of quite a few fails, firsthand. I was on hand to let the man taking samples in, and got to do it again a few eeks later, because another tap elsewhere in the building had failed the test...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

or just very ill people. I recovered, but a temperature of 104°F for a few days doesn't do you any good.

Reply to
charles
543dsa posted

But to investigate this, all we have to do is count how many people have contracted Legionella infections from domestic water systems in UK private houses. The answer is none.

How many times has it happened then?

You could say that about anything. It's worth keeping a revolver full of silver bullets under your pillow, just in case of werewolves.

Reply to
Handsome Jack

charles posted

How did it come about?

Reply to
Handsome Jack

What sort of building? Where is Treznal? What was a "fail"? What was the test?

Reply to
Handsome Jack

Hmm. Looks like the death rate from scalding is about 20/year, and from Legionella about the same... Though a lot of those were contacted abroad.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

You don't know that last, because not all those who have contracted Legionella infections have been diagnosed as having done that, let alone where they got it from when they are diagnosed with it.

We'll never know for the reason I spelt out above.

The difference is that we do know that some do end up with Legionella infections and that none end up getting fanged by werewolves.

Reply to
543dsa

But it isn't just about the death rate with either.

Unsurprising given that it is mostly from aircon cooling towers etc.

Reply to
543dsa

Student housing, central warm water system.

Germany.

Fail: more than a certain number of legionella colonies found in water samples held at temp X for time Y, in a lab that does such testing.

The samples are taken from taps, with any faucet insets removed, and the mouth of the tap heated with a flame to sterilize, water running until the temperature stops rising, temperature measured and noted. Then a water sample is bottled.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

and also shower heads

Reply to
charles

But not a "large commercial or industrial premises", either.

Testing is mandated for any hot water system serving three units or more, with the hot water piping containing more that X liters (1?) of water. While this may be a racket, ISTR they do find more contamination than they originally expected. As the symptoms of legionellosis apparently aren't that clear-cut, it may be a problem that is more widespread than originally assumed.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

legionella/Legionellosis is a particularly nasty form of pneumonia; it doesn't respond to regular antibiotics. It can take some time to diagnose and it's always possible that the body's own immune system has won. I had the disease about 30 years ago.

Reply to
charles

ROT13 not working on your PC?

Reply to