Ants eating through brick mortar!

the flying variety took up residence inside my cavity wall insulation once. One hot day, my bedroom was full of flying ants that had squeezed through the gap between reveal and window cill.

Reply to
Andrew

Google seems to be worse than the banter web portal

This thread is from 2006

Reply to
alan_m

Yes I got some in through the corner of a window where hthe slight void had been made from cement but not any longer. Maybe they use formic acid to do it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The flying variety are called wasps. Or bees.

What you had is a regular ant colony. Usually once a year when the weather is just right they produce a brood of winged male and females. This is how the colony reproduces.

The males have a day or so, a quick one or two with the females, and then they are dead.

The females break their wings off and found a new colony. The workers are all sterile females.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

There are various plants that deter various insects. Look into the testimony of others for outside and inside the home.

Reply to
RayL12

I might be replying to the dead? Uncanny.

Reply to
RayL12