Another boiler query

I am just about to rennovate a C1915 3-storey 5 bed semi. I have called in varous plumbers to quote for a new heating system as the existing Worcester combi appears to be inadequate for the 2 shower room and

1 bathroom and new extenion that I plan and I am keen to install a solar panel on the southfacing roof.

I have been advised to a) replace the existing heating circuit as its probably corroded (from a guy who had co-incidently repaired the system for previous owner) b) keep the existing heating circuit as its pressurised & showing no problems so why bother.

I was initially leaning towards an unvented cylinder but read on the

site the advice to avoid these and admit the costs seem high. Also the feed pipe is lead and from
I gather a mains system is likely to be marginal. However the 3rd-storey is in the roof-space and there is very little in the way of space in the remaining loft (max 1.8m with only ~0.8m width 1m from loft floor) so I am not sure if I could get a header tank in the loft at any height so the 2nd storey shower woudn't be up to much.

Any advice welcome TIA Jon (a grateful newbie to this group)

Reply to
JupiterJon

There are a quite a few options to solve these problems. They all have strengths and weaknesses. Nearly all will have to have some sort of HW store somewhere.

A method which will make for some of the least change (especially if the boiler is functioning well enough for one shower) is to use the combi to run the top shower but install a vented HW cylinder feed from a loft cistern (coffin tanks in eaves) to supply the other HW uses. You might add a pump to boost HW flow/pressure or not.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The existing boiler has to go as the kitchen is being remodelled but I think with a coffin tank I should be able to get about 1.5m head (from base of tank to head of shower) which I hope will be enough for a reasonable shower. Thanks - I never knew coffin tanks existed.

Jon

Reply to
JupiterJon
1.5 is an adequate head for a shower.

I would keep my existing loop if it hasnt started to spring leaks. The plumber is just setting himself up for a nice big job with that advice.

If you have difficulty getting a long tank into the loft, you could join two or three small tanks to increase your supply.

Reply to
noelogara

I fear that, admitedly some of the radiators are too small (all agree on that) and some will have to move because of other alterations butI am hoping the basic network is OK to re-use. Although if it is to be zoned (it is) does that mean very little of the current will be useable as there will be many more loops back to the boiler??

Thanks

Reply to
JupiterJon

JupiterJon wrote: > I fear that, admitedly some of the radiators are too small (all agree on

you could consider replacing singles with doubles. Its no big deal to put a longer rad on. just put a Tee on one side in the new place and put a joiner on the old gap. dont let them bullshit you about zoning. Its not a castle you are heating. One main loop with a few spurs and if its in three quarter inch that is fine. It can be spurred anywhere for extra rads and the spur can be in half inch if its carrying one or two rads only. Actually the old copper was much better quality that what you buy in the shop today. A day or two to do it for a good plumber if you can find one. A month for a bodger and he may move in with you if you put him on the big money and listen to him.

Reply to
noelogara