And you thought I was mad for using petrol in the garden

Firefighters responded to an explosion at a house in Mosgiel, New Zealand. The explosion was so forceful that it shot a candle from the home into a car across the street -- smashing it through its window. The cause: two teens were "huffing" propane gas from two 20-lb. pressurized cylinders, investigators say. The two were using so much propane that the concentration of gas built up, and was ignited by a gas heater, causing the explosion. In addition to creating a huge fireball, the explosion knocked over the gas heater, "pumping out a huge fire in that room," a fire department commander said. "Their clothing were so impregnated with LPG that when the explosion happened it blew the soles of their shoes off, their clothing burst into flames, and skin and tissue was spread on all four walls and the ceiling in that room." Brendon McLeod, 17, and Jamie Jury, 18, were hospitalized in critical condition with burns on up to 60 percent of their bodies -- but both are expected to survive. (RC/Otago Daily Times)

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

So close to a Darwin, yet so far...

Reply to
John Williamson

Me or them?

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

what exactly is 'Huffing' ?

Tim w

Reply to
Tim W

? Have you done something remarkably stupid that's likely to prevent you from passing your genes on? ITWSBT.

Reply to
John Williamson

No doubt whatsoever.

Reply to
brass monkey

Easy enough to guess. Inhaling to get high I assume.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

There was a fuss in here recently when I stated that I'd tried to set fire to some tree stumps with a large quantity of petrol. And then towed them out using a 1998 VW Golf 1.9 Turbo Diesel Automatic.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I've never heard of anyone getting high on propane, only dead. Did they also not get the obligatory education about explosive mixture dangers at school. You must remember the fill a tin with gas, puncture it, light the hole and wait for the bang?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I've heard of people sniffing butane, so presumably propane might work in a similar way?

I got that, but I don't remember it as being about dangers, it was just for a laugh. The teacher liked to scare the pupils. I believe nowadays it's banned due to H&S bullshit. Which of course means bigger explosions will happen instead. But it's not in the school so it's not their problem.....

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

aka "sniffing", or in other words, inhaling.

Reply to
Huge