Amazon.

The discussion is about your position as a seller, deperately trying to recover the 25% extra you've needlessly ended up paying for something; solely as a result of not reading a sellers listing and your evident unfamiliarity with Amazon's T&C's.

As for myself I'd be upset paying the "new" price from an established retailer for anything, even complete sealed in the box with warrenty and registration cards; never mind paying 25% on top.

But if that sorry day ever came to pass I very much doubt I'd be crying my eyes out on Usenet about it, as much as you are. I'd just put it behind me and try to learn from my mistake. Whereas in your case clearly this money you've lost means an awful lot and won't be easily forgotten.

michael adams

michael adams

My thoughts too. In the UK, your 'statutary rights' tend to be from who you bought it from before the maker of the goods. If they weren't, many retailers would simply opt out of any responsibility when things go wrong.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Says a great deal about Amazon where they need to conceal (or make tricky to find out) so much.

Glad you love them. I'll not use them again. Which will be their loss - not mine.

Good to know you approve of a company which treats its empoloyees worse than cattle - and does everything it can to avoid paying taxes in the country it sells in.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Will it? I don't buy much from Amazon but occasionally they have what I need at the best price. If you refuse to use Amazon then you will almost inevitably miss the best price for *something*.

So why did you buy from them to start with then? :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

It took me 0.26 seconds on Google to raise the relevant page.

As to concealment you yourself have yet to reveal what time frame was actually specified in the original listing.

They have the lockers too, big orange ones which come in handy.

Only if you're going to live in a cave and deny yourself the opportunity of buying a whole range of desirable consumer goods at the most competetive prices and in the most convenient manner.

Says a typical Guardian reader who's never seen the inside of a factory, a mill, a coal mine or a warehousue in their lives. Or at least hadn't until economic necessity finally forced their hand. What and whom do you think made this country great ? People sat round all day writing letters to the "Guardian" about how oppressed they all are ?

As to your own industry who is it I wonder who are "treated like cattle" ?

The talent who are made to audition like show ponies in the vain hope of landing their first job in months if not that year, or the likes of yourself guarenteed work 52 weeks of the year as a result of the stranglehold you collectivley have over the industry ?

- and does everything it can to avoid paying taxes in the

That's down to the govenment of the day.

As it happens the taxation of ecommerce, as with the impact of ecommerce on the high st generally is a question that will need to be seriously addressed by governmements wordlwide at some stage. Either before or after Covid and climate change.

Which along with news of you jumping ship is something which I can imagine is giving Jeff Bezos plenty of sleeples nights.

michael adams

Reply to
michael adams

Every company does this, as no person or company is under any legal or moral obligation to do anything else. In fact, companies are *obliged* *by* *law* to do the best they can for their shareholders.

Everyone *avoids* taxes, when they can.

Reply to
Tim Streater

My point being about the difference between buying from Joe Arkwright and Joe Arkwright t/a Arkwright's Stores. In the former case Joe can disclaim responsibility as a personal sale, but Joe is free to voluntarily offer equivalent terms as the statutory rights (forming part of the contract of sale). In both cases the means of enforcement for breach of contract (small claims court) is the same. So there's a limited difference between the two in practice if you choose to offer those terms.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Spoken like a true Tory. Only ones who matter are shareholders. No surprise manufacturing in this country is near non existent.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

You're very bitter, Michael. Get turned down for jobs too often? Could it be your attitude at fault?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

What have I got to be bitter about ? You're the one who's ditched Amazon as a result of losing a few quid, and can't stop going on about them. Most people would simply put it down to experience and move on.

But not you, apparently.

Make your mind up. One minute you set yourself up as a spokesman on behalf of oppressed Amazon workers, and the next minute you're claiming people are being denied work because of their "attitude". Presumably meaning they're not grovelling sufficiently.

michael adams

michael adams

Bullshit they are with how they treat their employees.

More bullshit, Buffet doesn?t.

Reply to
Fred

Have you counted your posts on this thread? As the originator of it I might be expected to reply to any comments. So what is your excuse for going on and on and on about it?

Says it all really. Your definition of a good worker. One who grovels sufficienly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Because of all the unanswereed questions it raises. Why else ?

First up, your statement in your first post

"That is the last time I'll use Amazon for anything."

Do you still stand by that ?

Now admittedly this is the sort of thing we all say when we're angry or upset about something. Even vowing never to speak to certain people, colleages friends or relatives ever again. But then the truth dawns that carrying on like that we'd end up living like a hermit - although admittedly these days there still is Usenet, I suppose.

More especially when in this case it was all your own fault to start with. But not only that. You found out about this 20% return fee - 8 weeks ago ! So why didn't you post about it then as nothing has changed in the meantime?

So that having had 8 weeks to cool down it seems that you're still detertmined to cut off your nose to spite your face, by ditching Amazon entirely.

It just doesn't make sense does it ?

Same as reselling it on eBay. In the past you've explained you've sold stuff on eBay, so selling this would be no different. Except all of a sudden you're finding problems you've never had before. Whether stuff you sell on eBay is new, as here or secondhand as things you've sold before presumably makes no real difference. Its all supposed to work and meet the item description unless specified otherwise. So what's the problem all of a sudden ?

Oh sorry I forgot, its "slow moving". So that while you have no qualms about lumbering the seller - who probably didn't have it in stock in the first place but ordered it from China especially with a "slow moving item" you do quibble about having to pay him

20% in compensation for tying up capital on something that is going to be sitting on a shelf gathering dust.

So much for the moral high ground !

No that's "your" definition. " Could it be your attitude at fault? "

Whereas in a closed shop, as we all know, things are rather different.

michael adams

michael adams

Making things up again? I only discovered what it was going to cost to return it when attempting to do so. After it had arrived. That was the final blow - after being told I couldn't cancel the order even within an hour of placing it.

Both those things to me are very unsatifactory. You, being obviously a cheapskate, are willing to put up with both to get the maximum number of pennies off anything you buy.

I'm not that poor, so prefer to buy from someone with the T&C I've come to expect.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

You're the one complaining about having to pay the 20% re-stocking fee, not me ! Which in the circumstances, I find quite reasonable. Given as you yourself admit, that the item is "slow moving".

I would have just paid up myself, and put it down to experience.

Rathet than chucking all my toys out of the pram as you've done, vowing publically to never use Amazon again.

From the way you're talking its as if you're going to delibrately pay more for stuff from now on, just to spite Jeff Bezos.

Well good luck with that one, anyway.

michael adams

michael adams

And you'd expect to pay that when taking anything back to anywhere?

Good for you. There's one born every minute.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News