Aluminium Insulation Sheet.

I have just been using an aerospace type blanket for insulating ceilings. It is a rather expensive roll of aluminium and that stuff they use in duvets. 8 sheets of ally in the sandwich. The outer sheets are heavy duty, woven with some sort of carbon wire and is a bugger to cut.*

You staple it to the ceiling joists and counter batten the ceiling. It replaces a thick layer of rock-wool. I can't imagine how it will replace that though as it took two of us all day to do two rooms. Mind you that was our first job with this (to us) new medium, on a new site.

How long does it take to lay a load of insulation in an attic? Thinking about that, why not lay the blanket up there? Perhaps I aught to ask that of the site agent.

The counter battens took a pair of nails each joist too, as using one per joist allowed movement in them.

I bet the houses will be murder for WiFi and HAM radio, it's already in a dead zone for phone signals. (They have Cellotex on the walls too. Perhaps they are going to be safe houses for people fleeing the UnitedStatesandAmerica. No screens on the windows yet though.)

*We ended up unrolling it on the floor and cutting it on a plank to save the blade, as they must be as sharp as possible.

Measure the required length.

From a wall, mark said length out on floor -less half the width of a plank.

Knock a couple of nails into the plank to act as stops for a batten. Place the plank on the mark and lay the sheet from the wall to the plank. Place the batten on top to hold the sheet tight and cut a few times.

The wadding is like that stuff in chainsaw safety wear, so it drags out with the blade rather than getting cut through. The batten is needed for holding the fabric tight as much as for guiding the knife.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Why not? Are they not using Pilkington K or similar?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Wi-fi *within* the property should still work, and amateur radio operators usually use proper external aerials.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Not to mention typically being vastly oversold - to the point of outright blatant lies about thermal conductivity.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

There's often some nasty small print not printed in the retail catalogue - e.g. values only apply when in still air with a 25mm gap both sides.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Carpet scissors you need, cut through anything when new, although normal decorators scissors will cut through steel wire, they probably wouldn't stay sharp very long.

Reply to
Phil L

No, we tried everyth> Weatherlawyer wrote:

I wouldn't know. How would one get on with using the wireless from another room?

We got another delivery of the stuff last week and it seems to incorporate bubble wrap as well now. Just as easy to cut though with a batton holding it down tight, on a board and with a very sharp knife blade.

I wish I'd bought another one of those lock knives from Lidl now. They really are a vast improvement over standard Stanleys. I know I am going to mislay this thing soon. I carry it in my pocket at all times now. My number one favourite tool.

And I got a load of spare blades the other day -=A31 for about 60 in a dispenser. (Not from Lidl, from a market stall.)

Not bad at all. I am an happy bunny.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer