Aldi stuff.

If the 18V drill offered on

is the same one as they had going last year (which didn't have the "swivel" bit, dunno what that's really useful for in general), it's a good and useful piece of kit, especially at £20. Mine's done very well. Two batteries & 1 hr. charger are helpful. 3 yr. guarantee, if it blows up, get your £20 back (else it's cost < £6.66 2/3p per year to own).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Is the charger a simple 1 hr timer? Or does it turn off before the cells get baking hot if you put a nearly charged pack in?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Don't know. FWIW there's a red light that comes on when you put in a flat battery, which goes green when the battery is charged up.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Hi,

Not too much of an issue with 2 batts, just use them in rotation and recharge when they start running down.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Ok. It's just that it's handy to be able to stick a partly used battery after a job in the charger. And if a 'dumb' timed charger simply charges it for

1hr, it'll overcharge it, overheat it, and fairly significantly reduce the life.
Reply to
Ian Stirling

That's what I do - I have not noticed the battery warming up, and a partly used one does take less time before the green light comes on, so I suppose it's not a "simple 1-hour timer" - which I don't think I've seen one of before on a charger!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Unfortunately they are available. It can't have anything to do with the fact that the makers also sell batteries... Anyway, if it takes less time for a partially charged battery, then it sounds like a proper charger.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

In message , Ian Stirling writes

[Re 18v drill]

I've just picked one up. It doesn't appear to be a timer type charger because the instructions say that the charger will turn off when fully charged and switch to trickle charge to keep it topped up.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I think it terminates charge based on temperature. Anyway, it seems to work. Further - compared to my 9.99 focus electric drill, it's a bit nicer. It has an electric brake on the motor, which is handy, and aids control. It varies speed when you pull the trigger harder (and torque too).

In low speed mode, it goes down to about 30RPM, in 6 steps. It feels fairly solid, at least initially. The rotating battery is nice - this moves the balance point back to the middle of the handle, so it's less tiring to hold.

Reply to
Ian Stirling