Alarm advice with cats in mind.

No, just experienced.

Oh so you have a suitable high-tec panel with multiple annunciation and yet connect it to a home made relay interface! Ok.

No, I'm not up on electrics. I'm well up on alarms and security though and that is exactly what this thread is all about! Sorry but I only know of proper pucker alarm wholesalers - not sell-it-alls.

Oh dear... here we go! The last time I played with relays was late 70's. I dropped them in favout of IC's. Maybe you need to do the same.

WHAT???? a CPO???!!! They know the square root of f*ck all about alarm systems. They know the bare basics and that's it. They give basic advice and then a list of professional installers. How do I know? cos not only have I dealt with them for 25 years I also worked with then as a support officer for 4 years when the job became civvy.

Reply to
PJO

From a distance. Your method described elsewhere wouldn't have worked in my situation - do you *really* think I'd have chased the cable in if all that was needed was a longer drill - which I have in any case?

I'm not going to bother explaining why to one with a closed mind.

Err, if you don't know the company, how can you know what they do and don't supply? Closed mind again.

I'd suggest you learn a bit about electronics. A relay isn't necessarily a mechanical device. And in any case, mechanical relays are still very much in evidence as they are far more robust to contact abuse than a solid state equivalent.

You don't seem to support them very well, then. They also appear to know FA - as does everyone but you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

No, he's just jealously guarding teh knowledge so he can charge lots of money...

Apropos of which, who's read Deathworld 2 by Harry Harrison? (there is a a connection, unless I mis-remember and it's Deathworld 3).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well I accept much of what you say, just 1 or 2 questions.

So its not popular but does still get used at times, and aluminium and copper foils are still available. Looks like we agree.

It gets on both hands and clothes. You can wipe your hands but you cant wipe goo off your clothes as easy as that. Those of us whove done decorating know that you can be as careful as you like, paint still tends to wander and turn up where its not expected.

Thus this black goo is likely to be on the burglar until they get home. If the police turn up at time of incident and pick someone up, either on premises or off, the presence of this same black goo is useful evidence. It narrows down the suspects rapidly, leaves the burglar with an explanation problem, and is one more piece of evidence in the picture.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Dead right I'd run a mile. I wouldn't even take over a system installed by another engineer. As others have said some so called engineers are butchers.

You home made bits though are about as easy to defeat as switching off a light when compared to a proper installation. I have installed ID systems since 1990 (I installed the very first one) and I can honestly say that I wouldn't have a clue how to defeat on by attacking the wiring etc. Any other system, even end of line resistor systems - easy.

Reply to
PJO

Ands like I said in an earlier posy it's impossible to describe EVERY situation here. What I can say with condidence though is that I could have done your door without chasing and re-decorating and no wiring showing. I can say this because I have never yet come across a door that I couldn't do and that includes doors on some very nice old buildings where, at initial inspection, one says "f**k"!. Your modest house (your words not mine) would be little challange to any well trained installer using the proper kit.

No, not a closed mind but If I've not heard of them after 25 years in the game I just have to assume they're not a proper alarm/security wholesaler and are in fact a sell-it-all liek many other electrical suppliers.

Reply to
PJO

Ok, lets get back to basics here. Does Screwfix sell this as an anti-clime paint or a "burglar identifying" paint?

Go one, answer that question but please keep your answer strictly to information which can be found in the Screwfex book! i.e. from the title description of the product (anti-climb paint)!

Get real please.

Reply to
PJO

Okay, thanks for that :)

I couldn't quite believe that you might have been taking the wiring thru the width of the door.

PoP

PoP

Once again, how do you know? You've not seen what I've done. I'd say it's in fact more secure than the main panel.

My system pre-dates the common availability of those. But like everything, they will be capable of being defeated by someone who understands them.

There comes a point when you have to decide what you really need - for most homes, money spent on making the house secure is better than any fancy alarm, given how most are ignored due to the frequency of false alarms from even pro fitted systems.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

What - poking out a hole at the bottom of the skirting as you describe? No thanks - I'm happy I did it my way.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Errr no, no cable poking out of any hole. It'd be under the floor.

Anyway, enough. Your opinion of what you have done seems to be the most important thing in this conversation whereas I tried to offer good honest sensible advice. I'll not respond to any more of your silly comments/arguments. You're doubtless happy so carry on regardless.

Reply to
PJO

Great explanation PJO :) I'll buy that :)

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Your advice seems to be that only you know this sort of work, and that all other experts in this field are rubbish. So I'll make my own judgments - given that I've heard this tale from so many before.

Nobody knows everything there is to know about any subject, and those that do think they do deserve what they get.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I never suggested that at all and considering there are no other similar experts in this thread then I consider my opinion much more important that yours, especially considering that you admit to being non-professional.

Some people actually do know everything about certain subjects though. That's why they're called experts, professors, etc!

The end.

Reply to
PJO