Air source heat pumps....

Only with about 70 bar of pressure, if you want it to be liquid at 0C.

Reply to
Tim Streater

not Boyles law - that relates P and V noT involved lol

Reply to
Ghostrecon

In that case CO2 would appear to be a much better choice for a refrigerant than air. I'd better recycle the CO2 then. Can't have that nasty CO2 escaping and causing Catastrophic Global Warming can we :)

Reply to
Matty F

So which one is PV/T = constant then?

Reply to
dennis

Would that be natural CO2 or the nasty manmade stuff. Then there is the in between stuff I have been making by burning that nasty natural methane to make CO2 which is a much less powerful greenhouse gas.

Reply to
dennis

I doubt it. Above about 27C, CO2 is a gas whatever pressure you apply to it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Dont worry dennis' pretty little head over actual facts.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Matty F saying something like:

By arranging a bank of fridge/freezer guts to do the job.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember harry saying something like:

Not a single system- several unmolested systems arranged in parallel. I've observed that many fridge and/or freezer systems can be removed from the cabinets in one piece and pressed to another use; either as an air/air exchanger or even heating a water trough.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I'm concerned only about heating my house in winter.

27C would be uncomfortably hot so my CO2 would never reach that temperature.
Reply to
Matty F

I had thought of using old fridge units. But I think I would need about ten of them to heat my house. That's getting a bit clumsy.

Reply to
Matty F

You mentioned 27C. At what point in the cycle would the refrigerant reach 27C?

Reply to
Matty F

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember harry saying something like:

If it's enclosed neatly and I have room (which I have plenty of), no problem.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Not rubbish, even if not exactly true either. Above the critical temperature (31.1C in fact), CO2 will never liquify, it will at best be a supercritical fluid, neither liquid nor gas. Fire extinguishers have to be pressure rated to cope with supercritical CO2 at - judging from the following diagram - up to about 50 Celcius:

less legibly, from

Nick Leverton