Air Ionizer Kit

I have built a few simple air ionizers in the past, all with batches of

100,000 uF capacitors and simple diodes. I am very lazy, I don't want to go around and buy all components. I wonder if you know any Air Ionizer kit that I can order and assemble. If that is not possible, can anybody recommend me a good (not Maplin!) diy electronics store in Manchester?

Thank you

Vauxall

Reply to
vauxall

I can't imagine how a 100,000µF capacitor is used in an ioniser.

Ioniser kits have existed, and many years ago, design details and PCBs were published in magazines such as Everyday Electronics and Elektor, and I'm sure a search would find several.

A difficulty now would be they have to be tested for being within permitted levels of ozone production, and that's very hard to do with something like a kit which can be made slightly differently by each person. The last one I recall seeing in Elektor some years ago had warnings about not changing anything about the kit or construction methods, as it would invalidate the testing they'd had to put the kit through. Velleman is the only kit producer I can think of with enough volumes to afford this, but they don't seem to make one as far as I can see.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'm crap at electronics, but I remember a "cockroft walton ladder" being used in several ioniser designs

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Colin Wilson formulated the question :

As is used on EHT supplies for CRT's.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

AFAIK, all mains ones work that way.

Hum, never seen that. They mostly use the flyback energy from the line output transformer, a diode, and a capacitor formed from the CRT's post deflection amplification electrode and the earthed coating on the outside of the tube.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

I think that's the one I assembled from a kit many years ago. Loads of diodes and low value capacitors. I still remember the fact that the PCB tracks were not plated.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Very briefly and clearly stated. You've awakened some distant memories. Anything to do with "Practical Television"? :) It was very good at explaining how circuits worked.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Completely useless for the OP's request but an interesting page for how to make them from scratch

whole site
is stuffed with cool dangerous things to make and do.

HLAH

This one is a bit big for the average room. I'm working on a smaller one right now:

Matty F

Easy for you to say

-- dtechy

Reply to
dtechy

Are there any left? Maplin have moved away from hobby electronics due to lack of demand. At one time I had about half a dozen others round here in London within easy distance. All closed years ago.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wish I understood why. I visit the US quite often, and there are still loads of such shops out there (in California, at least). Of particular interest to many hobbyists are the junk/surpless places that Tottenham Court Road and Edware Road used to be full of, Proops (gone) and Henrys (still there) being the last ones. There were a couple in Reading when I was a teenager, which I visited as often as pocket money allowed, all gone now.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

LOL. This brings back memories of one I made years ago - a kit from (IIRC) Bull Electrical who always advertised in the electronics magazines - this was pre internet mail order - rembember those days?

Anyway, it was in one of those large ugly black project boxes with two hastily drilled holes for the needles, and yet it had pride of place in the living room. That was untill the area around it went black and dusty.

Try

dg

Reply to
dg

In fact, it is 0.01uF. Sorry.

Vauxall

Reply to
vauxall

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

You've not worked on telly's for long then? If you have, you should really be going back to your books.

Only on old Mono sets is the arrangement that simple.

It's still a Cockcroft Walton ladder design even if it's built into the EHT transformer

Reply to
Clint Sharp

In message , Andrew Gabriel wrote

see