Advice on showers (thermostatic and/or pump)

Hi all; I'm moving into a flat (let) which doesn't currently have a proper shower. I'm looking to get this fixed by adding a shower over an existing bath; I was wondering if I could get some advice on what the costs would be, so I can pass this onto the landlord.

At the moment the flat has one of those fake shower things (manually attach a hose to the bath taps). The hot water has enough pressure to shower through this, however it's completely overwhelmed by the cold water pressure - if the cold tap is even slightly on, the shower goes cold, meaning it's more or less impossible to get the right temperature. I presume I'd see similar results with a standard mixer tap.

I'm not certain whether the cold water is at mains pressure or just fed from a communal tank in the block of flats.

From the research I've done so far, I've concluded options are: 1 - use a thermostatic mixer tap with the current pressures 2 - put a pump on the hot water to increase the pressure on it, and use a standard or thermostatic mixer tap. 3 - put a pump on both hot and cold to ensure the pressures are even, and use a standard or thermostatic mixer tap.

So my questions are- - would 1 work? Are there any particular taps (e.g. from screwfix) that are recommended? - would 2 work? And if yes, are there any major benefits on going for 3? - Are there likely to be problems because I'm in a flat?

I'm not certain what the situation is with water tanks - I know I have a lagged hot tank, but I haven't noticed my own cold tank feeding that. As I say, there is a definate difference in hot and cold water pressure. I've not moved in yet, but if anyone can give me any pointers of what I should look for, I'll try to arrange another viewing.

As I may not be in the flat long term, I'm looking for a "not too expensive" option where I can convince the landlord he's getting the money back in the value of the property. Anyone got any rough idea of costs (parts and labour)? I'm in Cambridge if that helps.

Many thanks

Stuart Moore

Reply to
Stuart Moore

I've just fitted a venturi shower for exactly this situation. It's a trevi boost (about =A3200) and uses the power of the cold to pull the hot through - works really well. Fitting is straightforward as it just needs hot and cold pipes, no wiring or pumps.

auctions

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:09:49 +0100 someone who may be Stuart Moore wrote this:-

It sounds highly likely that the cold is at mains pressure and the hot is not.

Compensating for a large variation in pressure between supplies is not something they are designed to do. It is possible to get valves to reduce the mains pressure which fit under the bath, but it is usually far easier to run a cold feed from the tank.

Possible.

Not possible if the cold is at mains pressure.

As has already been mentioned a venturi shower will probably work well in this sort of situation. It only needs plumbing work and can probably be fed from the existing pipes.

Reply to
David Hansen