Adding a timeswitch to an electric underfloor heating system

Our en-suite bathroom has electric underfloor heating controlled by this little beast

a Devireg 550.

In theory it should be all the control that we need but the b*stard has a mind of it's own and will insist on trying to warm the bathroom mid-day and at any other time it fancies when we only want it to come on for a couple of hours in the morning and in the evening.

That's how it's currently programmed but it seems determined to do it's own thing. I've been through all the instructions and on to the company helpline but it seems that because its "intelligent", we just have to put up with it. This would be okay perhaps if we were using it for total room heating but we're not, we just want to take the chill off the floor.

Anyhow, I just want to add a simple 7 day timer into the circuit and wonder what the least obtrusive, easiest fitted timer might be. On that can give me two on & offs per day with different times at the weekend. In fact, I don't really need 7 days, just a weekday/weekend option with my two on/offs.

Any suggestions?

Tim

Reply to
Tim

The b****y thing's too clever by half! At least with my Honeywell programmable room stat, I can turn off Optimum Start. You don't appear to be able to do that with this thing!

Presumably the heating is hard-wired rather than being connected to a 13A plug, so you can't use a plug-in timer?

In that case, a timer designed for controlling an immersion heater had ought to do the trick. Something like

perhaps?

Reply to
Roger Mills

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 10:02:31 -0000 someone who may be "Tim" wrote this:-

There are time clocks which fit in/on a standard box, so you could replace the controller with one of those. However, I would add a thermostat to limit temperature in the room.

Take care with the zones.

Reply to
David Hansen

Is it powered from a dedicated circuit? If so a timer could be fitted in the CU if there is space. Failing that a DIN rail timer in a small enclosure will do what you want. An immersion timer may also be suitable.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'd guess the cheapest way would be a central heating programmer with a suitable relay?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)