Acid Strength

HF is /very/ nasty! On the skin it continues to act even after rinsing and needs injections to stop it. We used it at work for a process in memories (as far as my memory goes after

40+ years!) and someone dropped a nearly full 2.5 li bottle (HDPE) with the top off. Took a long time to clear up and needed full PPE. I suggested using 500 ml bottles; we did, until the cost was questioned and then bean-counters won.
Reply to
PeterC

If you have some food-based things (saucepans, etc) you want descaled use a spoonful of food-grade citric acid in a small amount of boiling water. You get calcium citrate, which is quite soluble. Citric acid is strong enough to be quite effective at scale removal, but not too strong as to attack metal.

True. Note that food-grade citric acid is available online and lasts a long time.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

What were the pump and glands made out of !

Reply to
Andrew

Very interesting, had not come across that before. I love this quote:

"For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes"

Reply to
newshound

Off at a tangent, steradent tablets are very good at removing severely charred food from metal or enamelled cookware. Use minimum water.

Reply to
newshound

and "It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers,"

Some substances are just plain frightening!

Reply to
PeterC

A *seriously* nasty cocktail, that is. None of them are pleasant, but the HFl acid can burn through the skin and tunnel through your bones regenerating its toxicity as it goes. Tissue necrosis and amputation are inevitable without extremely quick and effective intervention. The stuff of nightmares.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Charred food?? Barbecues? Charred meat is carcinogenic. Delicious perhaps, but carcinogenic.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I hope you didn't drop it.

Reply to
Pancho

no need, just use a dropper & any acidproof container sat on dealer's scales.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Some part of the treatment process for a military aircraft wing.

Reply to
Davey

The contents of the tank were occasionally pumped to a storage tank while the treatment tank was worked on. When the stuff was returned, it came out of a pipe connection at the bottom of the tank, in a red steaming fountain a couple of feet high. Impressive!

Reply to
Davey

Stainless steel, with a rubber lining. Which leaked occasionally, until all the joints were sealed. No idea on SS grade etc.

Reply to
Davey