Acer laptop spares supplier wanted.

The existing one simply plugs into the motherboard. No soldering required. (As my usual soldering tool is the gas cooker I suspect I'd best not tackle the MB.)

The socket. The plastic part that holds all the bazillion pins and metal strips has overheated leading to loosening of the connection with the MB

If I can't get the socket, that'll be my next best option I guess.

Thanks.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

How strange. I spent yesterday afternoon pulling out WiFi from my home and replacing with wires. The WiFi has caused me one problem too many and it's now out of here.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

If that's all you want it for, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to get a USB wifi adaptor? Or is the laptop really so old it doesn't have USB?

Reply to
Tony Houghton

Whilst it was a bit of a pain to set up, for the laptops it's a boon. I have the desktops all hardwired though.

If you don't want your WiFi gear, drop me a line and I'll take it off your hands. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

I *enjoy* fixing things. Besides, I can't see a USB wifi adaptor accepting a compact flash memory card.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

If you have to ask what SMD rework gear is, you almost certainly are not capable of repairing this, even if you can purchase the bare socket.

USB CF reader = 3-4 quid. USB hub = 2 quid. USB wireless adaptor - 30 quid.

Ian Stirling

A USB compact flash reader will though ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

*Please* read what I've written before coming over all pompous Ian. I'm grateful for your input to this thread but if you'd read my posts you would have seen that the existing socket simply plugs into the motherboard. No soldering required.

Yes, I know these things are cheap enough. It just seems daft to shell out for a number of separate devices when all I need is a new pcmcia socket. As present I don't know how much one will cost (or indeed whether I can even obtain one) but it would be *my* prefered option.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Oops, I hadn't fully read all the messages. I have never heard of a generic socket that actually does plug into the motherboard. It seems unlikely for several reasons, but if it exists...

I have often seen little sub-boards onto which the socket is soldered, that then plug into the laptop motherboard, but these are always specific to model.

The link to the molex site does not work, can you post the part number you found? (the link will stop working when the session times out)

I've had success ordering samples for molex parts for some things in the past, I'll see if I can dig up the parts.

Do you have a picture of the broken part, and are there any visible makers marks, or part numbers, or logos?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Now there's an offer that I can't refuse :)

Haven't sorted it out yet. This latest "problem" appears to be a broken access point because I can't even get in to reboot a new bootstrap into it.

Fortunately it's a warranty repair so it'll be a brand new access point :)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Now there's an offer

I hope he's not my neighbour, whose WIFi I use to access the internet when NTL is borked

Reply to
geoff

Nope.

Nope.

Neither works, the first gives an error, the second just the homepage.

Try clearing your cookie cache for

or even clicking on the above links now.

Many 'complex' websites do not support direct linking well, they rely on you having logged in, and then present the appropriate page depending on the status of your cookies.

I really like the picture of the sunset.

Hmm, pity. Other makers that spring to mind are

.

The pictures do not make it quite clear. What happens when it's plugged in, does the connector shell seperate, so that it does not make good contact? It seems that some epoxy round it, to constrain it from moving might work.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I use the same blowtorch I use for CH pipework - works a treat

Reply to
geoff