Accurately drilling holes in walls

Thanks for the overall idea - there would be some benefit in being able to see what you're drilling into, but it strikes me that trying to mark the holes to the accuracy required for mirror screws wouldn't be easy due to the plaster thickness.

I did drill pilot holes with a 3mm drill anyway, but something's still not right.

I've put mirrors up a few times in the past and can't remember having this much difficulty - I think that perhaps I was just in the wrong frame of mind!

Reply to
Rory

If it is into thick plaster you may be lucky and get perfect holes. I have a ruler with guides for making the job easy.

If you drill very oversize holes and then fill with plaster you can then drill accurate holes when it sets, or even push the plugs into the wet plaster to set insitue.

Reply to
EricP

or you could get a foot or two of pallet wood, cut a hole in the plaster for it, nail and screw the wood into the wall (trying a few times until you get a good joint) then screw the mirror into the wood (the wood will be hidden behind the mirror, and gaps can be polyfilled, (I use plaster cement cos its cheaper and harder)

[g]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

I've found that masking an A4 bit of paper along its length on the wall and then bending the opposite end nearly back on to its self and affix with masking tape going the opposite way works great. Both hands are then free and it collects ALL the dust.

I was looking for something to show it online as I'm sure that's where I got the tip from.

Similar to this

but only 1 sheet of paper folded over is what I mean.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Better to use quick set cement.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Body filler is faster, so you can simply fill the hole and re-drill 10 minutes later. I think Halfords is the cheapest retail outlet. 1.75 kgs for under a tenner. Can't imagine life without it

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Problem I face on a daily basis. I'd love to meet the pratts who design these things.

Quite common to have the holes at something like 58.5 cm apart, just to make it difficult to divide & measure, when they could be 60 cm apart & make life easy.

Exactly what I do to make sure things are level & holes in right place.

Good question. As I said the pratts who design these things should be shot. It is very difficult indeed to get spot on accurate holes in masonry.

A few things I've found - Bosch multi material drills

have a much sharper point than a normal masonry bit, so its much easier to get started in the right place.

Second, I don't use the hammer action until I have too, seems to help. Third, plugs with a 'lip' have silghtly more tolerance.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yup, thats the way to go. I carry envelopes & tape in the drill driver bag!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I saw the envelope thing on a Tommy Walsh show ages ago.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

drills

They looks good - will buy one, or maybe a set, next visit to Screwfix. The reviews on the Screwfix site are pretty effusive!

I've suddenly remembered seeing wall plugs with the hole offset - you rotated them to align the hole. Did I dream that or do they actually exist?

Reply to
Rory

If you're doing a lot of mirrors you might invest in a special jig. There's a whole range of them available, all of which I'd forgotten about because I use mine for other purposes. Wolfcraft do two different types for wood (but probably also suitable for mirror fixing accuracy) and a tile drilling jig which would also do the same job.

See

for the Wolfcraft and for the tile drilling jigs. Axminster also do a similar type of jig to the Wolfcraft type and Lidl do a tiling jig, but it might be differently described.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Hmm, that triggered a memory, although the ones I saw were for plasterboard, not brick, and took a particular standard bolt thread (I don't recall what, now) - they weren't for screws.

Reply to
Jules

Another way is to drill the hole as usual and then user a bigger drill to open up the outermost 10mm or so of the hole. Put the plug to the back - beyond the opened up bit. Do not fill or replaster. Then there's some lateral adjustment possible as you tighten the screw.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

That would be OK on something like batten or shelf bracket, but a bit dodgy with a mirror - it would be stressed the screw tried to straighten. Also, there really needs to be support against the back of the mirror to keep the top-hat washer in place.

Reply to
Rory

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 14:14:43 -0700 (PDT), Rory had this to say:

For something like a mirror, I'd be tempted to attach a plywood board to the wall, then screw the mirror to that. Fitting such a backboard to a wall would be a lot easier than the mirror.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Frank Erskine coughed up some electrons that declared:

I've done something similar in my plumbing cupboard - vertical battens every

2 foot - much eaiser to clip pipes to wood in quantity than farting around with plugs :)
Reply to
Tim S

I find that this is where the old fashioned Rawdrill comes in handy and I always start off in plaster with it. Mark up, line up the Rawdrill with the mark, one hard whack with the hammer to take it through the plaster, then a couple more whacks to start the hole in the base. then use a masonry drill to finish off.

Now

Reply to
Old Git

A way that I use (works for starting holes in tiles as well) is to use a wheel brace and 'rock' it so that the bit does about half a turn, then turn the bit a quarter turn and repeat a little. Easier to do if holding the wheel rather than the handle.

Reply to
PeterC